How does monks memorise Sutta?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:33 am

Is it compulsory for monk to memorise Sutta?
Is there a organise method of memorising and taking the tradition to the future? (Some group dedicated to memorising DN, MN etc)
Are there any monks in this world who can memorise entire Sutta?
Should we have a competition to memorise the Sutta? The same way Koran is memorised.
Can you tell how many sutta you can resite from memory?
Should we start a Sutta memorising challenge?

This question is based on:

The purity of the spoken words?

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 01#p368001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

cooran

Re: How does monks memorise Sutta?

Post by cooran » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:44 am

Tipitakadhara Sayadaws
http://www.myanmarnet.net/nibbana/tipitaka/tpdkdhra.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:30 am

Thank you Chris.
This is wonderful!
I wonder whether they have some thing like this in Sri Lanka.
:thinking:

DC2R

Post by DC2R » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 pm

I especially like the part at the end:
One may question the wisdom of arranging this highly stressful examinations now that we can put the Tipitaka texts on the CD-Roms and there is no question of the Tipitaka texts disappearing from this world. But the actual rewards of the whole examination is reflected in the emergence of thousands of monks who has got all or some of the texts by heart and are able to help lay worshippers with their instant sermons and discourses, faster than the CD-Rom texts to appear on the Computer screen. In addition, personal human touch in the form of one two one explanation is possible if our monks know the Pali Canon and are able to transmit their knowledge with authority. So the ultimate aim of the Tipitaka Examination is to promote propagation of the Buddhist Teaching which is the noblest of all the gifts, the Gift of the Dhamma in its purest form.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:09 am

Agree.
I also wonder whether candidates outside Burma are allowed to sit for the exam?

Some more info:

https://dhammadharo.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -in-burma/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://globalnewlightofmyanmar.com/the- ... itakadhar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:36 am

SarathW wrote:I also wonder whether candidates outside Burma are allowed to sit for the exam?
There have been some non-Burmese monks who've taken the Dhammacariya and Vimamsa exams, so I imagine they'd be allowed to take the Tipitakadhara one if they wanted to. But I don't think it's likely to happen, since (as far as I know) outside of Burma there's no living tradition of memorizing even a single Nikāya, let alone the whole Tipitaka. Even within Burma a monk needs to go to one of several monasteries that specialize in memorization-training (and where they do almost nothing else) and such training has to start from early childhood. But non-Burmese who go to study in Burma are usually already over twenty, making it too late to embark upon such a course.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:18 am

Thank you Bhante.
Are lay people take part in this examination too?

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:38 am

SarathW wrote:Are lay people take part in this examination too?
I don't know if they're allowed to, but no layman ever has.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta