Theravada in Hong Kong

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Javi

Theravada in Hong Kong

Post by Javi » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:43 am

I read a pretty interesting paper today, so I thought I'd share.

'Theravada teachings and Buddhist meditation training in Hong Kong', Bill M. Mak

http://www.billmak.com/wp-content/uploa ... g-kong.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Particularly of note:
By the 1980s, a globalized form of Theravāda Buddhism, with often emphasis on the meditation practice entered Taiwan and Hong Kong, and eventually Mainland China. Besides a growing number of Theravāda temples across China, though constrained by government policies and rivalry of the dominant Mahāyāna sects, lay as well as non-denominational Theravāda study and meditation centers were established in almost all major Chinese cities at an unprecedented rate...

Starting from the 1990s, a continuously growing number of vipassanā meditation centers have been established across the city (Fig. 2). As stipulated by the local laws, these centers may freely establish themselves and operate as either company or registered society under the Companies Ordinance and Societies Ordinance respectively.22 Besides regular meetings such as Sunday meditation or reading groups, these centers run also a variety of activities including longer meditation retreats which last from a few days to a few weeks.
I'd definitely be interested in learning more about Theravada in mainland China itself, whats the state of Insight and Vipassana there? I know there is Theravada among the ethnic Dai people and others in the south as well.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14

pilgrim

Re: Theravada in Hong Kong

Post by pilgrim » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:05 am

Thanks for the article. Pls also see this thread "Theravada in China".
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... na#p360786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article omits mention of the Pa-Ayk tradition from Myanmar. There is a monk from Guandong, the Ven Mahinda who trained with the sayadaw and now teaches quite a bit in China, particularly in Yunnan. Monks from this lineage have also set up a number of centres in Taiwan . http://www.taiwandipa.org.tw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:29 am

Thanks for the interesting article.

My main experience in HK a few years ago was at the Theravāda Meditation Society in Tsim Sha Tsui, with the late Ajahn Samahito.
I'm not sure why he's labelled as "Ajahn Chah" lineage. My recollection is that he trained with a disciple of Ajahn Maha Bua, and the emphasis there was certainly on deep samadhi. I have fond memories of leaving the TST apartment, after an hour of chanting and an hour of sitting, and having my samadhi assaulted by the dazzling neon of Nathan Road...

I also did my one and only Goenka retreat in HK, and there is a group there with an affiliation to Ajahn Brahm, who has organised several visits by him (including when I was there).

:anjali:
Mike

A fool from HK

Post by A fool from HK » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:15 am

mikenz66 wrote:Thanks for the interesting article.

My main experience in HK a few years ago was at the Theravāda Meditation Society in Tsim Sha Tsui, with the late Ajahn Samahito.
I'm not sure why he's labelled as "Ajahn Chah" lineage. My recollection is that he trained with a disciple of Ajahn Maha Bua, and the emphasis there was certainly on deep samadhi. I have fond memories of leaving the TST apartment, after an hour of chanting and an hour of sitting, and having my samadhi assaulted by the dazzling neon of Nathan Road...

I also did my one and only Goenka retreat in HK, and there is a group there with an affiliation to Ajahn Brahm, who has organised several visits by him (including when I was there).

Mike
Hi Mike,
Ajahn Samahito is a disciple of Ajahn Gunhah who is the nephew of Ajahn Chah.
Bodhinyana International Foundation (Founded in Hong Kong on 17 September 2013) is a "group the with an affiliation to Ajahn Brahm". I have joined 2 retreats organized by the group last year, one is taught by Ajahn Brahm while the other is taught by Ajahn Bramali. I will also join the retreats this year.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 am

Thanks for the clarification!

Mike