New Analayo Guided Med: Satipatthana

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Kamran

New Analayo Guided Med: Satipatthana

Post by Kamran » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:47 pm

http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/439/talk/26718/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only guided meditation by Ven Analayo that im aware. See how he meditates :clap:
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

bodom

Re: New Analayo Guided Med: Satipatthana

Post by bodom » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:19 am

Thank you for this. I have always been curious as to which method he uses.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is so simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice.

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.

Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this-just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle.

- Ajahn Chah

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Interesting and very unusual!
Even the last three bell rings are somewhat unusual.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Javi

Post by Javi » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:44 am

Haven't listened to this yet but just wanted to pop in and say that his method for metta meditation (which he has described in his other talks) is extremely powerful and works better for me than repeating the well known sayings (may I be happy, may x be happy, etc). Good stuff.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:17 am

Javi wrote:Haven't listened to this yet but just wanted to pop in and say that his method for metta meditation (which he has described in his other talks) is extremely powerful and works better for me than repeating the well known sayings (may I be happy, may x be happy, etc). Good stuff.
Can you give me a link?
:anjali:

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:50 am

Analayo has a new book coming out about brahma viharas
http://www.amazon.com/Compassion-Emptin ... 645&sr=1-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recent interview
http://windhorsepublications.tumblr.com ... rview-with" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:14 am

There is a PDF linked to the talk which should not be missed.
http://media.dharmaseed.org/documents/E ... hana_2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:35 am

Thanks Cittasanto.
:)

Javi

Post by Javi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:01 am

I'm pretty sure he mentions it in this talk http://www.audiodharma.org/series/208/talk/2749/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14

bodom

Post by bodom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:24 am

This article may also be of interest:
Learning meditation from the Buddha: a meeting with Ven Analayo

I met German-born Analayo some years ago when he was living a life of intensive meditation and study in a small retreat centre in Sri Lanka. He told me how his study of the Buddha’s original meditation teaching had led him to question established approaches to practice.
Since then, he has published an acclaimed work on the Satipatthana Sutta, the Buddha’s main teaching on mindfulness, taken full Bhikkhu ordination, published many groundbreaking essays on Pali Buddhism, especially comparisons between the Pali Suttas and the Chinese versions, the Agamas and become a widely respected scholar and academic. As this interview shows, he is above all a deeply devoted Dharma practitioner.
http://www.wiseattention.org/blog/2012/ ... n-analayo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The heart of the path is so simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice.

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.

Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this-just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle.

- Ajahn Chah

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:56 am

Thanks.
I like what he says In this article. He says:

An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as ‘concentration’, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps ‘unification’ is a better rendition, as samadhi means ‘to bring together’. Deep samadhi isn’t at all stiff. It’s a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience.
:reading:

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:25 am

I've been meaning to post for a while that I found this guided meditation very interesting. Certainly a much different approach from what I'm used to, and it's good to be aware that there are many ways of approaching satipatthana.

Mike