Bhikku Forum

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
appicchato

Re: Bhikku Forum

Post by appicchato »

From a personal perspective, I've not found a single thing that I would want to say to another monastic, on any topic, that couldn't be seen or heard by anyone, lay or ordained...so, if someone could kindly give me an example of a use for a 'bhikkhus only' subforum, that would be nice... :smile:

Freemasons we're not... :spy:
nathan

Post by nathan »

appicchato wrote:From a personal perspective, I've not found a single thing that I would want to say to another monastic, on any topic, that couldn't be seen or heard by anyone, lay or ordained...so, if someone could kindly give me an example of a use for a 'bhikkhus only' subforum, that would be nice... :smile:

Freemasons we're not... :spy:
Definitely not Freemasons or mason-like in the least! However there are sensitive subjects when they become pressing personal issues. The experience of stream entry or any of the other paths and fruitions are frequently problematic to openly discuss in even theoretical terms. As a personal question of validating the progression of insight at various points an open discussion under the current conditions of strongly held and variably polarized views can frequently make real and beneficial communication impossible. This is one example that comes to mind. I hope to be able find out I am wrong about perceptions of the prevailing taboos and that amongst bhikkhus there is a healthy and open dialog regarding the path of practice and individual experiences. As far as having such discussions or one on one communications directly open to lay scrutiny I think that is probably not a for the best but that amongst the Sangha it would be a healthy development for everyone concerned. This impression that there is only limited communication is based largely on second hand accounts of various kinds so I am going to do all I can to find out about the actualities first hand before I would be willing to suppose that there is any widespread alienation playing a negative role within the Sangha to be the least bit concerned about. One possible example.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm going to close this. If any bhikkhus who use this forum wish to request such a forum in the future, please do not hesitate to do so. In the meantime, we'll assume there is insufficient demand and leave it at that.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."