Are ariyas a later addition to the Dhamma?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sanghamitta

Are ariyas a later addition to the Dhamma?

Post by Sanghamitta »

[ EDIT: Moderator note - this topic was split from the "something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval" topic - http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Thanks. Retro.]

As Retro has correctly pointed out I have dragged the thread off topic. That was not my intention...so I will leave it there.
I will add that I think that the whole concept of "ariyas" is a later insertion into the early narratives, and an indicator of the Sangha's institutionalisation.
But this is not the place for that discussion.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Kenshou

Re: something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval

Post by Kenshou »

Sanghamitta wrote:I will add that I think that the whole concept of "ariyas" is a later insertion into the early narratives, and an indicator of the Sangha's institutionalisation. But this is not the place for that discussion.
At risk of derailing the thread, I would be interested in knowing the grounds for that idea. I've seen it around now and then but never with any sources (not to imply that you don't have any). I'm simply curious, is all. Maybe a new thread is in order to prevent this one from rupturing.
BlackBird

Re: something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval

Post by BlackBird »

Kenshou wrote:Maybe a new thread is in order to prevent this one from rupturing.
Very good idea :)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
retrofuturist

Re: Are ariyas a later addition to the Dhamma?

Post by retrofuturist »

And now we have it.

:geek:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Sanghamitta wrote:As Retro has correctly pointed out I have dragged the thread off topic. That was not my intention...so I will leave it there.
I will add that I think that the whole concept of "ariyas" is a later insertion into the early narratives, and an indicator of the Sangha's institutionalisation.
So if Ariyas are out, does that mean the characteristics that define them - stream entry, once returner, non-returner and arahant are also out?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

And further to Jack's question, is this to suggest that records of the Buddha labelling himself "the arahant" are fabricated? Did he in fact find the path to, and achieve the cessation of dukkha?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Individual

Post by Individual »

According to Sanghamitta, this is a discussion that doesn't belong here. If that's true, I guess it's OK to give an opinion that doesn't belong here.

http://www.acmuller.net/bud-canon/diamo ... html#div-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is neither a teaching nor a non-teaching. How can this be? All the enlightened sages are distinguished [from worldly teachers] by unconditioned phenomena.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sanghamitta wrote: I will add that I think that the whole concept of "ariyas" is a later insertion into the early narratives, and an indicator of the Sangha's institutionalisation.
Hi Valerie

What an interesting thought! I would be very interested in reading your thoughts on the matter with supporting documentary evidence.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Sanghamitta wrote:[ EDIT: Moderator note - this topic was split from the "something endures unchanged for at least a certain interval" topic - http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Thanks. Retro.]

As Retro has correctly pointed out I have dragged the thread off topic. That was not my intention...so I will leave it there.
But this is not the place for that discussion.

:anjali:
That is quite a claim to make. May I ask the basis for the notion that "that the whole concept of "ariyas" is a later insertion into the early narratives"? For example, philological analysis of which texts? Source of the insertion (from non-Buddhist thought, etc.)?
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I object strongly to this. A post I made had been lifted out of context and re posted as if from me to start an entirely new thread without such much as a by your leave, or any discussion with me. I think that is sleight of hand, and in fact dishonest.
You chat about it among yourselves lads. Its nothing to do with me.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Sanghamitta wrote:I object strongly to this. A post I made had been lifted out of context and re posted as if from me to start an entirely new thread without such much as a by your leave, or any discussion with me. I think that is sleight of hand, and in fact dishonest.
You chat about it among yourselves lads. Its nothing to do with me.
Perhaps you could let us know the context in which it was stated and we can take it from there.
I do not believe that any sleight of hand or dishonesty would be the intention here.
So come on gives us the context and who knows this could turn out to be a great discussion here. :coffee:
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Sanghamitta-

On one hand, I do not see how this question is dependent on the context of the other thread, since they're pretty unrelated things. I think it's a valid topic in of itself.

On the other hand, sorry if I indirectly lead to an annoyance for you, I did intend to wait for a reply in the other thread before doing anything myself, but what's done is done.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

You posed it. You answer it.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

What?
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Someone other than me posed this as a new thread. UNDER MY NAME... Someone other than me can address it.
Or ignore it. :shrug:

Bhikku Bodhi.