Some idle metaphysical speculation

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Individual

Some idle metaphysical speculation

Post by Individual »

OK, so if this is true:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems to fit in with Buddhist cosmology.

Wikipedia says the rupadhatu is 4.54 miles high. Our own atmosphere is much taller than that, though?

But it makes sense if we think of the dhatus as 2-dimensional planes stacked one on top of the other. :)

Maybe the other dhatus are different, though. Maybe not.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Prasadachitta

Re: Some idle metaphysical speculation

Post by Prasadachitta »

Do you really understand that. I cant glean much from it myself. Maybe you can give me a simplified impression of what you see in this.

Thanks

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Individual

Post by Individual »

gabrielbranbury wrote:Do you really understand that. I cant glean much from it myself. Maybe you can give me a simplified impression of what you see in this.

Thanks

Gabe
What part? The holographic principle or Buddhist cosmology?

You really can't truly understand modern physics without an advanced understanding of mathematics and the experiments supporting and crushing the various theories. What's there is already a simplified impression.

I would guess that the same applies to the Buddhist cosmology article, although instead of "advanced understanding of mathematics," it's "an advanced understanding of meditation".

If it doesn't make sense to you, it's best to learn more about the basics surrounding the topic.

The Diamond Sutra
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Individual wrote:
gabrielbranbury wrote:Do you really understand that. I cant glean much from it myself. Maybe you can give me a simplified impression of what you see in this.

Thanks

Gabe
What part? The holographic principle or Buddhist cosmology?

You really can't truly understand modern physics without an advanced understanding of mathematics and the experiments supporting and crushing the various theories. What's there is already a simplified impression.

I would guess that the same applies to the Buddhist cosmology article, although instead of "advanced understanding of mathematics," it's "an advanced understanding of meditation".

If it doesn't make sense to you, it's best to learn more about the basics surrounding the topic.
Ill just keep working on the meditation thanks. Strangely enough Buddhist cosmology does make a kind of poetic sense to me.
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Individual wrote:Wikipedia says the rupadhatu is 4.54 miles high. Our own atmosphere is much taller than that, though?
Individual wrote:If it doesn't make sense to you, it's best to learn more about the basics surrounding the topic.
:|
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Individual

Post by Individual »

Viscid wrote:
Individual wrote:Wikipedia says the rupadhatu is 4.54 miles high. Our own atmosphere is much taller than that, though?
Individual wrote:If it doesn't make sense to you, it's best to learn more about the basics surrounding the topic.
:|
Oops. :lol:

Yeah, I did look stupid. :( Rupadhatu isn't Kamadhatu. My mistake. Thanks for pointing it out... I told you this was just some silly idle metaphysical speculation, though, didn't I? ;)

But does the overall suggestion make sense?

Kama-dhatu:
The following four worlds are bounded planes. each 80,000 yojanas square
Science:
The holographic principle is a property of quantum gravity and string theories which states that the description of a volume of space can be thought of as encoded on a boundary to the region—preferably a light-like boundary like a gravitational horizon.

The Diamond Sutra
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Individual wrote:But does the overall suggestion make sense?

Kama-dhatu:
Science:
The holographic principle is a property of quantum gravity and string theories which states that the description of a volume of space can be thought of as encoded on a boundary to the region—preferably a light-like boundary like a gravitational horizon.
It seems you are linking two mostly unrelated statements together with the word 'bound.' The first statement on Kamadhatu is simply saying that it's a space with a boundary, much like a nation on a map, or perhaps a space capsule; you cannot travel in the space without eventually reaching the end of it. The second, 'science' statement says that a volume of space can be described by the information encoded in its boundary. The two are, in my view, not related and do not complement eachother.

I was more alluding to the silly way in which you instructed someone to 'learn about the basics' (implying they don't know the basics) when you don't appear to know much more about the topic than what you've superficially gleaned from wikipedia.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Viscid wrote:
Individual wrote:But does the overall suggestion make sense?

Kama-dhatu:
Science:
It seems you are linking two mostly unrelated statements together with the word 'bound.' The first statement on Kamadhatu is simply saying that it's a space with a boundary, much like a nation on a map, or perhaps a space capsule; you cannot travel in the space without eventually reaching the end of it. The second, 'science' statement says that a volume of space can be described by the information encoded in its boundary. The two are, in my view, not related and do not complement eachother.

I was more alluding to the silly way in which you instructed someone to 'learn about the basics' (implying they don't know the basics) when you don't appear to know much more about the topic than what you've superficially gleaned from wikipedia.
They are both describing finite 2-dimensional objects.

Don't know jack about Buddhist cosmology, but I've learned enough physics to make some sense of it. Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, watching all those programs on TV like Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole, Michio Kaku's series a while ago, the really old stuff by Carl Sagan... And a set of college-level video lectures on quantum mechanics by the The Teaching Company.

You are very quick to judge. :)

The Diamond Sutra
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Individual wrote:You are very quick to judge. :)
Yes, but overwhelming obviousness produces overwhelming intuition.

The holographic principle is quite complex, and watching a program narrated by actor Morgan Freeman, however authoritative-sounding his voice, is simply not adequate to provide an accurate understanding of it.
Individual

Post by Individual »

But it's Morgan Freeman.

You don't like Morgan Freeman?

He played God in a movie once, you know.

The Diamond Sutra