Should I buy a copy of the Majjhima Nikaya?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mettafuture

Should I buy a copy of the Majjhima Nikaya?

Post by mettafuture »

Hi Dhamma Friends,

I already have Access To Insight bookmarked in my browser, and a copy of In The Buddha's words sitting on my bookshelf. How important, in your opinion, is it to have a complete Nikaya? I've been eye-balling Bhikkhu Nanamoli's and Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Middle Length Discourses on Amazon for the last couple of weeks. Should I get it? Am I missing out on any amazing suttas by not having it?

On a side note: I know most of my threads here have been about books. :( I promise to cut down on the book talk after this post.

Sincerely,
Mr. Future
tiltbillings

Re: Should I buy a copy of the Majjhima Nikaya?

Post by tiltbillings »

mettafuture wrote:Hi Dhamma Friends,

I already have Access To Insight bookmarked in my browser, and a copy of In The Buddha's words sitting on my bookshelf. How important, in your opinion, is it to have a complete Nikaya? I've been eye-balling Bhikkhu Nanamoli's and Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Middle Length Discourses on Amazon for the last couple of weeks. Should I get it? Am I missing out on any amazing suttas by not having it?

On a side note: I know most of my threads here have been about books. :( I promise to cut down on the book talk after this post.

Sincerely,
Mr. Future
If you can afford it, get it. Not only to have access to good translation, but also the footnotes. If I have to choose betwween Ven T's translations or ven B's, I'd take Ven B's.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Bodhi's middle- and Walshe's long-discourses can be read at Palicanon.org
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

lojong1 wrote:Bodhi's middle- and Walshe's long-discourses can be read at Palicanon.org
That's true, but the books are much more convenient...

Considering the amount of time I've spent using my MN (hundreds of hours just listening to Bhikkhu Bodhi's talks http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/about- ... ikaya.html) the cost is completely irrelevant.

The multi-volume deals at Amazon are good if you're somewhere where their shipping is cheap. Right now it's showing DN+MN+SN for $122 http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Length-Dis ... pd_sim_b_2. For those of us in the rest of the world TheBookDepository can often be cheaper: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97 ... ranslation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

It depends on you and your intentions I'd say.

I have a copy of it, it wasn't cheap, but the majority of the time I find the Internet much easier to use, or more rarely already know from memory what I'm looking for. The Majjhima Nikaya isn't organised by topic after all. There are many shorter compilations and books about the Suttas which are much easier to digest.

On the other hand if you are making a really thorough, systemmatic study of the suttas then maybe it would be useful.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings MettaFuture,

If you're dedicated enough to read it, I would recommend it.

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
josephzizys

Post by josephzizys »

A bit from left field, but I would recommend the Samyutta Nikaya, also published by BPS/Wisdom, translated by Bodhi, it is arranged thematically, and it also contains rare variants of many of the stock phrases and formulae of the canon. It's hours of fun for the whole family! And it's a little less ummm, I dunno, 'narrow' in it's style for mine, the Long Discourses are pretty skewed toward gradual Samatha training and the jhanas, while the Middle length discourses lean more toward mindfulness. There all great, but the Samutta, it's more dense, thematically varied, and just awesome fun. Ok, so I just finished watching the entire series 1 2 and 3 of Avatar in a single week and may be a little... Anyway, the Suttas all reward study, but they are just books after all.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

josephzizys wrote: Ok, so I just finished watching the entire series 1 2 and 3 of Avatar in a single week and may be a little....
Now you need to, in one sitting, watch the extended versions of the Lord of the Ring Triology.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi MettaFuture,

I bought the Nanamoli and Bodhi translation of the Majjhima Nikaya and I definately don't regret it !

Kind regards,

Aloka :)
ground

Post by ground »

I have Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of MN and I really do not regret to have bought it.

Kind regards
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

josephzizys wrote:A bit from left field, but I would recommend the Samyutta Nikaya, also published by BPS/Wisdom, translated by Bodhi, it is arranged thematically, and it also contains rare variants of many of the stock phrases and formulae of the canon. It's hours of fun for the whole family! And it's a little less ummm, I dunno, 'narrow' in it's style for mine, the Long Discourses are pretty skewed toward gradual Samatha training and the jhanas, while the Middle length discourses lean more toward mindfulness. There all great, but the Samutta, it's more dense, thematically varied, and just awesome fun. Ok, so I just finished watching the entire series 1 2 and 3 of Avatar in a single week and may be a little... Anyway, the Suttas all reward study, but they are just books after all.

The SM is my favourite Nikaya - it's just really clear and concise.

However, I would recommend getting Ven. Nanamoli/Ven.Bodhi MN if you can afford it.

From Mt. Meru,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Hoo

Post by Hoo »

It was suggested to me that getting them used could save me a lot. Amazon has the used category. Other used book dealers I like are Abe Books and BookFinder. I've found Amazon's free shipping on orders over $25 sometimes makes the difference in where I buy.

Hope this helps,

Hoo
texastheravadin

Post by texastheravadin »

I have also been considering the idea of buying The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, The Long Discourses of the Buddha, and The Connected Discourses of the Buddha, but right now money is the limiting factor. I'm going to make it a point to try to save enough to buy them together as a set. About a year ago when I first started seriously studying and practicing Buddhism, I promised myself that I would not go crazy and spend too much money on books because I have a tendency to outspend what I earn on my "intellectual pursuits". So far I've been lucky enough to find several great books (like The Dhammapada) at my local used bookstore. I did break down and pay full price for In The Buddha's Words,but it was totally worth it. (I usually only have time to read it once a week on an Uposatha day, so I try to at least read The Dhammapada daily).

It's true that Access to Insight has lots of the suttas available for free, and I really enjoy using it as a reference guide whenever I'm studying In The Buddha's Words, or when I just want to research a little more about a particular topic. But I don't know...there's still something so powerful about having an actual book in my hands. If you have the same affinity for holding theses precious texts in your hands, and you can afford it, I'd say go for it! The amount of material in those volumes will keep you busy for at least this lifetime!

As someone who donates to the Buddhist Publication Society, I'd of course recommend you order your books from Pariyatti. Not only that, but I just ordered a couple of books and selected the cheapest shipping possible and my books were still here almost the next day! Of course I won't deny that Amazon usually has some good deals, you could probably get all three books for under $120 dollars and still qualify for free shipping!

:anjali:

Josh
"Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed." — AN 11.12
Individual

Post by Individual »

mettafuture wrote:Hi Dhamma Friends,

Sincerely,
Mr. Future
The price is far too high to be worth it. And you can get lots of suttas for free -- online, from your library, and friends who are willing to share their copies. The money would be better spent as a donation to the Red Cross or some other similar organization.

If you do decide to purchase Nanamoli and Bodhi's translations, don't keep them to yourself, sitting on a dusty bookshelf somewhere. Read them, and when you're done reading them, share them.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
josephzizys

Post by josephzizys »

The price is well worth it. In terms of hours of enjoyment and learning you will derive from it, you will be spending much less per hour than on a paperback, a DVD, or a record.

As for giving the money to the Red Cross, well, why not give everything you have to the Red Cross? And then get yourself to Africa and work for the poor as a monk?

There is nothing wrong with pursuing learning and awakening, the gift of Dhamma is the greatest act of charity you can perform, and your as good a recipient as anyone.