Melbourne Buddhist Film Festival 2010 (Oct 13-17)

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
retrofuturist

Melbourne Buddhist Film Festival 2010 (Oct 13-17)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

For anyone interested, and in the vicinity...

Melbourne Buddhist Film Festival 2010
Wed 13–Sun 17 October

Official Website
http://www.melbournebff.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PDF Brochure
http://www.melbournebff.com/2763%20MBFF ... 010_LR.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like a decent opportunity for Melburnians to see David Grubin's documentary "The Buddha"

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Re: Melbourne Buddhist Film Festival 2010 (Oct 13-17)

Post by Ben »

Thanks for this Retro.
Times like these, one misses the big city - temporarily.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I went to the opening film last night. Anyone else went?

Well, it was, I guess, a shameless plug for Zen. Pretty well-made, I would say, but I am sure not to everyone's taste. It made some very good points about practice although I found Enlightenment Guaranteed (another one that will be shown) to have more charm and a lighter touch.

Anyone planning to turn up to any of them?

PS Following a comment, maybe I overstating it saying it was a "shameless plug for Zen". People who are not put off by Zen practice and approach may well enjoy it. There is also a fair bit about the relationships between two brothers and their partners in the film.
Last edited by Dan74 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Dan,

I would go to the one which is the follow-up of the one about the kids who grow up as monks... but only if I'd seen the first one... which I haven't.

:embarassed:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."