"Bhikkhu", before or after Dhamma name?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tex

"Bhikkhu", before or after Dhamma name?

Post by Tex »

Simple question, is there a reason why the title "Bhikkhu" is sometimes placed before the Dhamma name and sometimes after?

Thanks in advance.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Cittasanto

Re: "Bhikkhu", before or after Dhamma name?

Post by Cittasanto »

I have no Idea but a question myself why do some use Bhikkhu, and others don't?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Good question Tex,

A follow-up is whether "Bhikkhu" qualifies as a honorific title when lay people are speaking. My understanding is that it is customary for lay people to add titles, e.g. Phra, Ajahn, etc, in a Thai context, Venerable in an English context, or Bhante anywhere.
So I would refer to "Venerable Bodhi" or "Bhante Bodhi", and I certainly wouldn't address him along the lines of: "Hi Bodhi, how's it going?" :hello:
Whereas another Bhikkhu could refer to or address him simply as "Bodhi".

If' I'm confused about this, I'd appreciate clarification...

Metta
Mike
adeh

Post by adeh »

Could it be the same as the usage of Sayadaw with Burmese bhikkhus? For example Mahasi Sayadaw wasn't his name [can't remember what it was], but he came from Mahasi [big drum] Temple so it literally means Sayadaw from Mahasi Temple. My teacher here in Mexico is Sayadaw U Nandisena or Dhamma Vihara Sayadaw. Could it be the same with putting Bhikkhu before or after? Just a thought. Adeh.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Tex wrote:Simple question, is there a reason why the title "Bhikkhu" is sometimes placed before the Dhamma name and sometimes after?

Thanks in advance.
It seems likely to be because of the nature of Asian naming conventions. In some (if not most, maybe?) Asian languages, the family name comes first, the individual name comes second, and formal titles or honorifics come even after this. So... Shunryu Suzuki's name in Japanese is backwards: Suzuki Shunryu. And he's often referred to in both English and Japanese as "Suzuki Roshi" (Suzuki the Master). Also, in Japanese, there's the honorific "san" (Japanese equivalent of "Mr" or "Ms."). Instead of calling Suzuki, "Mr. Suzuki," you'd call him, "Suzuki-san."

I suspect that there's a similar case with the languages of Theravada Buddhists -- Burmese, Thai, etc.. Because of the different naming conventions, Bhikkhu Bodhi could also be called Bodhi Bhikkhu and Thanissaro Bhikkhu could also be called Bhikkhu Thanisarro. One naming convention (with the title first) reflects western culture, while the other naming convention (with the title after the dhamma name) reflects eastern culture.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Tex,
Tex wrote:Simple question, is there a reason why the title "Bhikkhu" is sometimes placed before the Dhamma name and sometimes after?
Just regional conventions. 'Bhikkhu' before the name is the norm in Sri Lanka and Burma; 'bhikkhu' after the name is the norm in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. That's assuming the word bhikkhu is used at all, which isn't always the case; in Asia one more often finds 'thera' or some regional title such as 'chao khun' or 'sayadaw' used instead.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Individual

Post by Individual »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Tex,
Just regional conventions. 'Bhikkhu' before the name is the norm in Sri Lanka and Burma; 'bhikkhu' after the name is the norm in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. That's assuming the word bhikkhu is used at all, which isn't always the case; in Asia one more often finds 'thera' or some regional title such as 'chao khun' or 'sayadaw' used instead.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Thank you, Dhammanando Bhikkhu. :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra