Einstein and Buddhism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ceisiwr

Einstein and Buddhism

Post by Ceisiwr »

Just read a quote from Einstein that struck me, sounds like he knew Dhamma

The fact that man produces a concept "I" besides the totality of his mental and emotional experiences or perceptions does not prove that there must be any specific existence behind such a concept. We are succumbing to illusions produced by our self-created language, without reaching a better understanding of anything. Most of so-called philosophy is due to this kind of fallacy.

Just thought id share lol

:anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cooran

Re: Einstein and Buddhism

Post by cooran »

Thanks clw_uk.

Could you give the reference location please? I'd be very interested to read more. :smile:

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sure i got it from here

http://www.einsteinandreligion.com/eternlife.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

there is loads of things on the net about this, and quite a few videos on youtube,

http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A1f4cfYMWa ... dhism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgZ3zKNYURU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://news.fjnet.com/english/culture/t ... _41899.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

There is some more here

Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -Albert Einstein

http://thebuddhistblog.blogspot.com/200 ... dhism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Craig,

That's a quote that some of us have spent a while trying to verify. I've not yet seen a reliable source.

It's kind of interesting to see what Einstein had to say about these things, since he was obviously a clever fellow. However, much as I admire Einstein (and routinely use the physics he helped to create), he's certainly not the last word on Religion, Philosophy, or even Physics (of course, he had a hand in creating much of modern physics, but his major impact was a century ago). I'm not an expert on philosophy, but in light of occasional discussions with professional philosophers, my impression is that that the "philosophical" pronouncements of 20th Century Physicists, such as Einstein, Feynman, etc, often do not stand up particularly well to detailed analysis.

Metta
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

clw_uk wrote:
Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -Albert Einstein
That's a great quote, but no one has been able to find the source for that. It is quoted at many Dhamma/Dharma websites, but the references are usually just to other Buddhist sites. A couple of years ago there was a guy going around and challenging all of the sites that had that quote, including e-sangha's use of that quote.

I did find a reference to one book about Einstein's writings, even ordered it through inter-library loan and could not find the quote any where in the book. It sounds like something he might say and I suppose it could be a paraphrase of different quotes and writings.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I see what you mean, i tried searching now for it and it does seem to be a phantom quote, still the first one was quite good :jumping:

Wasnt trying to put it accross that he was the final word, just find him interesting so thought id share what he said :smile:

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
clw_uk wrote:I see what you mean, i tried searching now for it and it does seem to be a phantom quote, still the first one was quite good :jumping:
I wonder if the first is a phantom quote too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

I spent quite a bit of time researching the authenticity of those 'buddhism' quotes attributed to Albert Einstein a couple of years ago. I got in touch with the Albert Einstein Archives - either in Germany or Israel, and received a response from the head archivist/curator who assured me that a lot of things were attributed to Einstein that he didn't say or publish. A case of people putting words into his mouth.
I could not locate any material stated by or published by Einstein that mentioned Buddhism, though I would love to be corrected on this one.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

there was a quote of his in defense of christianity that was a fraud too, in fact even in his life he was aware of it and there are letters of his talking about how he had no idea where it came from...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,
Ben wrote:I spent quite a bit of time researching the authenticity of those 'buddhism' quotes attributed to Albert Einstein a couple of years ago. I got in touch with the Albert Einstein Archives - either in Germany or Israel, and received a response from the head archivist/curator who assured me that a lot of things were attributed to Einstein that he didn't say or publish. A case of people putting words into his mouth.
I'm glad to hear about your efforts Ben. :smile: I came to the same conclusion after my private research in the Internet.
I could not locate any material stated by or published by Einstein that mentioned Buddhism, though I would love to be corrected on this one.
Here are some Einstein's essays where he mentions either Buddhism or the Buddha:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/einstein/einsci.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...