Western monks after Asian visas expire

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Ytrog

Re: Western monks after Asian visas expire

Post by Ytrog »

How about ordaining in the UK? Europeans wouldn't have visa issues. I hope those aren't filled to capacity :o
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Ytrog wrote:How about ordaining in the UK? Europeans wouldn't have visa issues. I hope those aren't filled to capacity :o
Hi Ytrog.Yeah you guys in europe are pretty lucky.There are temples all over the place.You are spoiled for choice. :clap:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Nanadhaja wrote:
Ytrog wrote:How about ordaining in the UK? Europeans wouldn't have visa issues. I hope those aren't filled to capacity :o
Hi Ytrog.Yeah you guys in europe are pretty lucky.There are temples all over the place.You are spoiled for choice. :clap:
Did I miss something then? :?
I know that there are a couple in the UK and one in Germany. Other than that it's all very ethnic or mahayana here.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Individual

Post by Individual »

I didn't realize it was so difficult for western people to permanently stay in foreign countries.

I thought it was only the other way around, because the "rich countries" don't want "poor foreigners."

Economically, it seems clear to me that countries always benefit from more loose immigration regulations (gradually loose -- extreme change can cause problems), but it's because of the bigotry of the people involved in government that immigration regulations exist.

Still, if you're a western monk, why stay in Asia? You might be more beneficial to people in the west.

Monks with Asian accents and bad English, while western people find them alluring, are not always as easily understood. And there are people like Gil Fronsdal, who are so brilliant, but they don't describe things with a rigorous adherence to the Pali text, or have any monastic authority, so people don't take them as seriously. Also, it seems like there are so many Buddhist temples in America that only (or mostly only) cater to Asian groups. But there is already a plethora of monastics in places like Thailand, isn't there?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Individual wrote:
Still, if you're a western monk, why stay in Asia? You might be more beneficial to people in the west.

Monks with Asian accents and bad English, while western people find them alluring, are not always as easily understood. And there are people like Gil Fronsdal, who are so brilliant, but they don't describe things with a rigorous adherence to the Pali text, or have any monastic authority, so people don't take them as seriously. Also, it seems like there are so many Buddhist temples in America that only (or mostly only) cater to Asian groups. But there is already a plethora of monastics in places like Thailand, isn't there?
Because of visa issues, most westerners at some point in time would need to return home. I get the impression that many western monks, other than the monks associated with the ajahn Chan monasteries and particularly those ordained in Sri Lanka or Burma often disrobe after some time in the west. They don't feel comfortable in ethnic monasteries and are unable to get sufficient support for western monasteries.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Luke

Post by Luke »

mikenz66 wrote:It's not always easy for Theravada monks from Asia or North America to remain in Australia or New Zealand for a long time either.
--Or at all !

I met a Tibetan monk over the summer who had Indian citizenship, but was currently living in a monastery in Nepal. He could not get the US government to give him a visa to visit the US at all! They just didn't like the fact that he was living in Nepal. Maybe it was on one of their "terrorist countries" lists.

So those westerners who have been able to visit the Asian countries of their dreams for even a few months are already quite lucky, but I do admit that countries should revise their immigration laws to make things easier for ordained Buddhists to stay there, since they benefit the communities where they live.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Just to throw a little more of a mix into this thread…I, personally, didn't ordain to teach (which seems to some here de rigueur)…and don't feel obligated to do so...I've given a few talks after reluctantly accepting an invite, but gritting my teeth all the way…maybe that will change, I don't know, and I'm always ready to share on a personal level…and the thought of living in a temple in the West is pretty much in the same class…once Asians get around Caucasians funny things start happening…monks included…many will not agree, I'm just relating a personal view and experience of an extended sojourn in Asia…kicking and screaming (metaphorically speaking) is the only way I'll go back…and with reference to the title…figure something else out (if you want to stay), there's always a way...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

appicchato wrote:Just to throw a little more of a mix into this thread…I, personally, didn't ordain to teach (which seems to some here de rigueur)…and don't feel obligated to do so...I've given a few talks after reluctantly accepting an invite, but gritting my teeth all the way…maybe that will change, I don't know, and I'm always ready to share on a personal level…and the thought of living in a temple in the West is pretty much in the same class…once Asians get around Caucasians funny things start happening…monks included…many will not agree, I'm just relating a personal view and experience of an extended sojourn in Asia…kicking and screaming (metaphorically speaking) is the only way I'll go back…and with reference to the title…figure something else out (if you want to stay), there's always a way...
Greeting Bhante.The education visa is a way to go here in Thailand once the R visa option is up.No kicking and screaming required. :jumping:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Thank you Venerable, I'm aware of that…I'll cross that bridge (if and) when I get to it…Thailand has been very tolerant to allow me to remain here as long as I have and if it necessitates being a seventy (plus) year old student to carry on, well, stranger things have happened…

Be well...
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Just that! *smile*