Which texts did the Mahāsāṃghikas dispute?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Luke

Which texts did the Mahāsāṃghikas dispute?

Post by Luke »

I read the following interesting lines on wikipedia:
According to one account, the Mahāsāṃghika sect was formed in the first Buddhist schism around 320 BCE. It split from the Sthaviravāda (Elders) school over disputes about the authenticity of certain texts which the Mahāsāṃghikas claimed had been invented by the Elders and were not genuine Word of the Buddha (Buddhavacana). In this account, they did not join the third buddhist council.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mah%C4%81s%C4%81nghika" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know which texts were the one which the Mahāsāṃghikas objected to?
retrofuturist

Re: Which texts did the Mahāsāṃghikas dispute?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Luke,

Very interesting question, since usually the allegations are made in the other direction.

I look forward to seeing whether someone has any useful insight to share on the matter.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Individual

Post by Individual »

We could do a process of elimination.

The Sutta Pitaka is within the Mahayana canon with very few differences, so that's not it. And the Vinaya is the same too, right?

This leaves:
-Abhidhamma
-Atthakatha (Theravada commentaries)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Individual,

Following your process of elimination you could then remove the commentaries, since no one is claiming them to be the literal word of the Buddha.

In addition to the Abhidhamma though, there are some parts of the Khuddaka Nikaya which are arguably "later" than others and don't have parallels across the different canons.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
plwk

Post by plwk »

Maybe this one...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If it is desired, Ananda, the Sangha may, when I am gone, abolish the lesser and minor rules."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I'm sure one of our resident scholars will chime in eventually, but here's a summary of reasonably modern opinion from Rupert Gethin, The Foundations of Buddhism (1998).

He says that the situation is not certain but...
Gethin wrote:It seems clear that at some point after the Vaisali meeting the primitive Sangha formally divided into tow parties each of which henceforth had its own ordination traditions. The ancient accounts are inconsistent as to what provoked the split. Some suggest that it was the result of a dispute over five points, later associated with a monk named Mahadeva, concerning the nature of the arahat. That this was indeed the cause of the division is accepted by Bareau (a French scholar). Other ancient sources attribute the division to a disagreement over questions of Vinaya, and the more recent scholarship suggests that this is the explanation to be preferred. According to this view a reformist group in the Sangha proposed tightening discipline on certain matters of Vinaya, while the majority were happy to leave things as they stood. Since the two parties failed to come to an agreement, the Sangha divided into two: the reformist sthaviras (Pali: thera) or 'elders' and the majority mahasanghaikas or 'those of the great community'. The dating of this important event ... is ... problematic [probably before or maybe during Ashoka's reign.]
The puggala-vardin (personalists), sarvasti-vadin (all things past, present and future exist), vibhajayavadin, and theravadins were products of later splits of the reformist stharvira group.

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

That's certainly interesting - thanks Mike.

Metta,
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Retro,

Obviously I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered by reading a few books, useful answers about this historical stuff is only going to come from reading the recent literature (i.e. from the 90s onward).

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Luke wrote:I read the following interesting lines on wikipedia:
According to one account, the Mahāsāṃghika sect was formed in the first Buddhist schism around 320 BCE. It split from the Sthaviravāda (Elders) school over disputes about the authenticity of certain texts which the Mahāsāṃghikas claimed had been invented by the Elders and were not genuine Word of the Buddha (Buddhavacana). In this account, they did not join the third buddhist council.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mah%C4%81s%C4%81nghika" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It had less to with particular texts than particular interpretations of either the nature of the Buddha and the Arahant or the Vinaya rules, depending upon which accounting one looks at.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

tiltbillings wrote:
Luke wrote:I read the following interesting lines on wikipedia:

It had less to with particular texts than particular interpretations of either the nature of the Buddha and the Arahant or the Vinaya rules, depending upon which accounting one looks at.
Yuh.

It would have made more sense to even check the veracity of the claim in Wiki first, by looking for its source, and taking the direction from there.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Individual wrote:We could do a process of elimination.

The Sutta Pitaka is within the Mahayana canon with very few differences, so that's not it. And the Vinaya is the same too, right?

This leaves:
-Abhidhamma
-Atthakatha (Theravada commentaries)
There is no such thing as a "Mahayana canon" per se. Schools that included the Mahayana had their equivalent Agamas and Vinaya, but they are not identical.
Each school had different arrangement and even content of the sutra pitaka, and likewise the Vinaya.
And all but about 3 schools didn't have an Abhidharma.
And the Atthakatha is not sutra, nor is it common to all the Sthaviras.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

plwk wrote:Maybe this one...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .vaji.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If it is desired, Ananda, the Sangha may, when I am gone, abolish the lesser and minor rules."
No. In fact, if anything, the opposite.

This is because the Mahasamghika Vinaya has less rules than that of the Theravada.
Though the difference is nothing to do with this sutra at all.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

mikenz66 wrote:I'm sure one of our resident scholars will chime in eventually, but here's a summary of reasonably modern opinion from Rupert Gethin, The Foundations of Buddhism (1998).

He says that the situation is not certain but...
Gethin wrote:It seems clear that at some point after the Vaisali meeting the primitive Sangha formally divided into tow parties each of which henceforth had its own ordination traditions. The ancient accounts are inconsistent as to what provoked the split. Some suggest that it was the result of a dispute over five points, later associated with a monk named Mahadeva, concerning the nature of the arahat. That this was indeed the cause of the division is accepted by Bareau (a French scholar). Other ancient sources attribute the division to a disagreement over questions of Vinaya, and the more recent scholarship suggests that this is the explanation to be preferred. According to this view a reformist group in the Sangha proposed tightening discipline on certain matters of Vinaya, while the majority were happy to leave things as they stood. Since the two parties failed to come to an agreement, the Sangha divided into two: the reformist sthaviras (Pali: thera) or 'elders' and the majority mahasanghaikas or 'those of the great community'. The dating of this important event ... is ... problematic [probably before or maybe during Ashoka's reign.]
The puggala-vardin (personalists), sarvasti-vadin (all things past, present and future exist), vibhajayavadin, and theravadins were products of later splits of the reformist stharvira group.

Mike
To get things clear: the non-reformists became the mahayana and the reformists the theravada? I always thought it was the other way around. This is about that schism, right?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Paññāsikhara wrote: Yuh.

It would have made more sense to even check the veracity of the claim in Wiki first, by looking for its source, and taking the direction from there.
Hi Ven. Huifeng,

Good point. The source of the info in that quote isn't directly cited in the article, but I would guess that it came from either "Light of Liberation: A History of Buddhism in India" by Elizabeth Cook or from "Nāgārjuna in Context: Mahāyāna Buddhism and Early Indian Culture" by Joseph Walser because those are the first two sources listed at the end of the article and the part I quoted came after the first citation and before the second one.

Neither can be read on Google Books.

Anyway, what are the best sources to find out more about the Mahāsāṃghika School?
Last edited by Luke on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

My understanding is that the Mahasamgikas (an extinct school?) should not be automatically equated with Mahayana, which is more of a later development and much less formal most probably. There is some relationship between the two, but they are not the same, right?
_/|\_