Pali formulas and sentences

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Pali formulas and sentences

Post by DNS »

Tiracchāna-kathā

'low talk', lit. 'beastly talk', is the name in the sutta-texts for the following:;Talk about kings and robbers, ministers and armies, danger and war, eating and drinking, clothes and dwellings, garlands and scents, relations, chariots, villages and markets, towns and districts, women and heroes, street talks, talks by the well, talk about those departed in days gone by, tittle-tattle, talks about world and sea, about gain and loss; A.X, 69 etc..

In the commentaries 4 further kinds are enumerated, thus bringing the number to 32, as mostly counted, namely: talk about sense-enjoyment, self-mortification, eternity and self-annihilation.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ti-sarana

'Triple Refuge', in which every faithful adherent of the Buddha puts his whole trust, consists in the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha.

The Buddha, or Enlightened One, is the teacher who by himself has discovered, realized and proclaimed to the world the law of deliverance. The Dhamma is the law of deliverance. The Sangha is the community of the disciples, who have realized or are striving to realize the law of deliverance.

The 3-fold Refuge in Pāli, by the uttering of which one may also outwardly profess one's faith, is still the same as in the Buddha's time, namely:

* Buddham saranam gacchāmi
* Dhammam saranam gacchāmi
* Sangham saranam gacchāmi

* I take refuge in the Buddha!
* I take refuge in the Dhamma!
* I take refuge in the Sangha!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ti-ratana

'Three Jewels' or Triple Gem, which by all Buddhists are revered as the most venerable things, are the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Noble Sangha.' i.e.: the Enlightened One; the law of deliverance discovered, realized and proclaimed by him; and the Community of Noble Disciples and those who live in accordance with the Law. - The contemplations of the 3 Jewels belong to the 10 contemplations.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ti-lakkhana

The '3 characteristics of existence', or signata, are impermanency anicca, suffering or misery dukkha see: sacca, dukkhatā no-self anatta.

Whether Perfect Ones appear in the world, or whether Perfect Ones do not appear in the world, it still remains a firm condition, an immutable fact and fixed law: that all constructions are impermanent, that all constructions are subject to suffering, that everything is without a self A. III, 134.

What do you think, o Bhikkhus: Is materiality rūpa permanent or impermanent? - Impermanent, o Venerable One. - Are feeling vedanā perception saññā mental constructions sankhāra and consciousness viññāna permanent or impermanent? - Impermanent, o Venerable One.

But that which is impermanent, is it something pleasant or painful? - It is painful, o Venerable One.

But, of what is impermanent, painful and subject to change, could it be rightly said, 'This belongs to me, this am I, this is my ego'? - No, Venerable One.

'I'herefore, whatever there is of materiality, feeling, perception, mental constructions and consciousness, whether past, present or future, one's own or external, gross or subtle, lofty or low, far or near, of all these things one should understand, according to reality and true understanding: 'This does not belong to me, this am I not, this is not my ego'S. XXII, 59.

In one who understands eye, ear, nose, tongue, body and all the remaining constructions as impermanent, painful and no-self, in him the mental chains samyojana are dissolved; S. XXXV, 53.

It is the full comprehension of the 3 characteristics by direct meditative experience which constitutes liberating insight.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thiti-bhagiya-sila

static morality
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thiti-bhāgiya-samādhi

static concentration
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thiti-bhāgiya-paññā

static understanding
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tejo-kasina

'fire-kasina', is one of the 10 kasina exercises.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tejo-dhātu

'fire-element, heat-element'
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Te-vijja

'one endowed with the threefold higher knowledge'. In Brahmanism means 'knower of the 3 Vedas' tri-vidyā in Buddhism means one who has realised 3 kinds of knowledge, to wit: remembrance of former rebirths, the divine eye, ceasing of all fermentations.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Te-cīvarik'anga

'practice of the three-rober', is one of the ascetical means for purification
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tatra-majjhattatā

'equanimity, equipoise, mental balance' lit., 'remaining here and there in the middle', is the name for a high ethical quality belonging to the sankhāra-khandha see: khandha and is mostly known by the name upekkhā In its widest sense it is associated with all pure consciousness see: Tab. II.. tatra-majjhattatā is called the 'keeping in the middle of all things'. It has as charactcristic that it effects the balance of consciousness and mental properties; as nature function; rasa that it prevents excessiveness and deficiency, or that it puts an end to partiality; as manifestation, that it keeps the proper middle; Vis.M XIV.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tathāgata-bala

the 'ten powers of the Perfect One'
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tanhā-nissita-sīla

'morality based on craving'
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tanhā-kkhaya

'ceasing of craving', is identical with 'ceasing of fermentations' āsavakkhaya and the attainment of perfect Nobility or Arahantship.