Best Meditation Ever

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Northernbuck

Best Meditation Ever

Post by Northernbuck »

I would highly recommend walking in the forrest for 10 km then sitting down by a water fall and meditate for 30-45 min. If you follow the teachings of Ajahn Chah, I would recommend getting to the forrest as often as possible, and not weather permitting.

But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7
bodom

Re: Best Meditation Ever

Post by bodom »

That would be ideal wouldn't it?

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Northernbuck

Post by Northernbuck »

bodom wrote:That would be ideal wouldn't it?

I don't believe that I have ever done that before today. I had water, a light lunch, and my camera. I was hiking for about 5 hours and took 130 pictures. During some of the flat parts, I even practiced walking meditation.
But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Northernbuck wrote:
bodom wrote:That would be ideal wouldn't it?

I don't believe that I have ever done that before today. I had water, a light lunch, and my camera. I was hiking for about 5 hours and took 130 pictures. During some of the flat parts, I even practiced walking meditation.
I'm envious. Living in the middle of a big city [and not owning a car] it's impossible to get away without a big to-do.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Viriya

Post by Viriya »

Beautiful! Thankyou Viscid, that's really inspired me.

Afterall, it doesn't really do to practice in 'The Forest Tradition' *cough* *cough* *cough*, like I do, without ever having actually meditated in a forest. :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Well, I believe that it doesn't necessarily have to be a forest. Any secluded and green place can do. I sometimes meditate next to a meadow near my work during breaks. There is a highway not far from there but it doesn't matter much.

I would love to meditate in a forest though :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.