Richard Gombrich

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alan

Re: Richard Gombrich

Post by alan »

A more interesting question might be: Why does Gombrich make such a fuss about Buddha being a "genius"?
Perhaps it is because he (Gombrich) is an academic, a non-meditator, and feels the need to place him (The Buddha) in an exemplary position against the well known and accepted great thinkers of history in order to make his points.
The book is a collection of speeches--perhaps he tailored his delivery to the audience?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:A more interesting question might be: Why does Gombrich make such a fuss about Buddha being a "genius"?
I am not sure he made a fuss, whatever that might mean. I suspect Gombrich's assessment has come from a careful study of the texts and their historical contexts.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Why do you think he made that assessment?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote:
alan wrote:A more interesting question might be: Why does Gombrich make such a fuss about Buddha being a "genius"?
I am not sure he made a fuss, whatever that might mean. I suspect Gombrich's assessment has come from a careful study of the texts and their historical contexts.
Yes, and it's in the context of other scholars claiming that the Buddha didn't exist as a person and the teachings we have are a group effort.

I think it's actually useful to have various people applying their particular expertise to the teachings and history. Prof Gombrich knows much more about some factors than any scholar monk or meditation master. He knows much less about some other factors... That's normal in any area of knowledge.

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Why do you think he made that assessment?
Because that is what his studies lead him to believe?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

I haven't found any other books where the Buddha is called a genius, and compared with the great thinkers of Western philosophy. To establish that idea might be called a "fuss".
alan

Post by alan »

That was a response, tilt, not an answer.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:I haven't found any other books where the Buddha is called a genius, and compared with the great thinkers of Western philosophy. To establish that idea might be called a "fuss".
It might be a fuss to you. You might want to look at Ven Narada's THE BUDDHA AND HIS TEACHING.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alan

Post by alan »

Thanks for the link! I'm sure it will be good reading.
Just to the point though--what is your opinion on this?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Thanks for the link! I'm sure it will be good reading.
Just to the point though--what is your opinion on this?
Gombrich is a good scholar/historian and worth taking seriously concerning issues of historical interest. In terms of practice, I'd probably look elsewhere.

alan

Post by alan »

Do you agree with Gombrich's assertion of genius?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Do you agree with Gombrich's assertion of genius?
Sure.

alan

Post by alan »

Well them we have something in common!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Well them we have something in common!

rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

tiltbillings wrote:Are you going to back up your claim: "Unless someone has gone the whole hog with vipassana (all 16 nanas) there is no way to know what a genius he is ?" Is this something you know from direct experience? If you have not directly experienced all the 16 ñānas, then you really do not know.
Well now, this is where saddha-faith comes in. Do you believe that there might be enlightened beings in this world?

'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To have that right view, you will need more than scepticism and proof, because you will never know for sure at the begining. Without never knowing you will never get to a place you will know for sure. So then, it takes saddha.

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha