Mahasi Method and Sutta Question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
samadhi_steve

Mahasi Method and Sutta Question

Post by samadhi_steve »

Hello everyone,

Looking to clarify(?) something I have been pondering back and forth in my practice.

If you are practicing liberating mindfulness are you able to grasp concepts. Ie. Reading this post you are able to decode the letters and understand what I am saying therefore the action of "mere seeing" with detachment is not complete.

I have experienced both in my meditation, although I find when I am deeper absorbed into activity and more peaceful it is more just action without understanding concepts (ie. just seeing rather than seeing and knowing the content of words ect.) - this is very short lasting.

I briefly remember a sutta where there was such content: When there is seeing it is merely seeing, when there is hearing it is merely hearing, etc with the other senses. Can anyone recall this sutta?

This goes with the Mahasi Method, when noting should you be able to hear what a understand what person is saying? Or just notice the contact such as:

{sound => ear => ear-consciousness } => feeling
------------contact-----------
Buddho is something cool and calm. It's the path for giving rise to peace and contentment — the only path that will release us from the suffering and stress in this world.
mikenz66

Re: Mahasi Method and Sutta Question

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi samadhi_steve,

Ud 1.10 Bahiya Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bahiya, there is no you in terms of that. When there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."
My understanding of what I am trying to do on retreats (I follow the Mahasi approach) is, as you say, to "catch" things at the earliest stage, i.e. at "hearing" rather than "hearing a bird".

Of course, this non-conceptual thing is not going to be practical when you are engaged in a task that involves concepts.,.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The same teaching is given in the Malukyaputta Sutta.

The Mahāsi Sayādaw often used to teach this discourse.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
samadhi_steve

Post by samadhi_steve »

thank you!

:namaste:
Buddho is something cool and calm. It's the path for giving rise to peace and contentment — the only path that will release us from the suffering and stress in this world.