Karaniya Metta Sutta

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
retrofuturist

Re: Karaniya Metta Sutta

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Chris,

My read is that the final four lines are referring to an arahant, and thus, to one who has no reliance on any view (be it right or wrong).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hello all,

I think that the juxtaposition of direction in the perfection of well wishing and a terse statement about the awakened state of total freedom is meant to induce a contemplation or inquiry into what limits us. I think we are meant to use our inspired imagination to sort of make the connection between our views, lack of clarity, and attachments to fleeting experience and our bondage to suffering. In other words if we have at least some inkling of the awakened state while stretching the very limits of our altruistic capacity we might in that moment get a glimpse or sense of what needs to undertaken to transform our limited state of bondage into one of perfect freedom and happiness. We might see the eightfold path laid before us like a vast and beautiful journey and feel in our hearts that it is the only path worth pursuing. And as our ability to maintain a sense of well wishing wanes and our usual self centered habits begin to exert there influence on us we might continue to recall that there is a path before us. There is work to be done. However limited we feel there is an unlimited way out. What I call effective mindfulness is the ability to hold this recollection. The degree to which we remember this is the degree to which we are mindful.

with metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

We were notified yesterday that ...

Regarding the absence of "JCSuperstar"
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I regret to inform you all of some bad news. James Brand aka "JCSuperstar" is currently in the local hospital's Intensive Care Unit. He was found at work in an unconscious state and is now currently in a comatose state. He is now only living off of a breathing apparatus and the doctors say there is little hope for a recovery. The current diagnosis is a brain hemmorage due to possible high blood pressure or other natural causes. He is a close friend of mine and is the person to introduce me to Buddhism. This forum meant a lot to him, as you can see by all his activity here and he most definitely enjoys his time here. Please please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Positive thoughts are a powerful thing. Everything happens for a reason and was is meant to be, will be. His wife is by his side now and id greatful for all your support here on the forum thus far in helping him find the true path to happiness. I'll keep everyone posted with any progress. Thank you.
Accordingly, out of respect for James we are re-opening this Study Group topic on the Karaniya Metta Sutta until such time as we decide what to do with the Study Group, which James has been leading since February 2009. If you have any suggestions relating to the Study Group, please post them in...

Suggestions, Comments and Feedback for the Study Group
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Good call, Retro.
Until then, lets keep James and his family in our thoughts as we extend Metta to all sentient beings.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I know that sometimes we Theravadins say that metta cannot be extended to the dead, however, there is the possibility that it may be okay and helpful. For example, the Metta Sutta which speaks of extending loving-kindness to 'bhuutaa vaa sambhavesii vaa' -- "to beings who have come to be and those about to come to be."

Also, of course there is the extending of Metta to all living beings and with samsara, would include those recently deceased.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

David N. Snyder wrote:I know that sometimes we Theravadins say that metta cannot be extended to the dead
IIRC it is stated in the Visuddhimagga that one seeking to develop the sign (nimitta) of metta as a samatha meditation object should not direct one's efforts towards the dead for it is impossible to develop the sign when visualizing the face of someone who is dead. It then gives a fairly stock example of Bhikkhu X attempting metta towards his master who unbeknown to Bhikkhu x is now dead, Bhikkhu X then visualizes his preceptor or someone and attains the sign.

That's the only source I've come across regarding this notion, and as I do not take the Visuddhimagga as the bottom line on things, I am inclined to believe that metta meditation towards those who have already passed is still a fruitful exercise (Not that to my recollection the Visuddhimagga ever excludes this possibility anyway).

But that's just me.
Last edited by BlackBird on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
plwk

Post by plwk »