Samma

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
adosa

Samma

Post by adosa »

Hello,

In regards to let's say the Noble Eight-fold Path, is it proper to interpret Samma as "Harmonious"? It seems the stock interpretation is always "Right" which is I'm sure has its merits but "Harmonious" for me brings a more subtle depth to the meaning. But is this right?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
Virgo

Re: Samma

Post by Virgo »

adosa wrote:Hello,

In regards to let's say the Noble Eight-fold Path, is it proper to interpret Samma as "Harmonious"? It seems the stock interpretation is always "Right" which is I'm sure has its merits but "Harmonious" for me brings a more subtle depth to the meaning. But is this right?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

adosa
I like Right. There is Right Understanding and Wrong Understanding. For example, understanding that kamma has affects if part of Right Understanding. Harmonious doesn't sound right to me there. Harmony is good, but Right may go against the popular belief, so I think 'Right' works better.

Kevin
bodom

Post by bodom »

Harmonious isn't too far off from what samma actually implies, which is "completion", "togetherness", or "coherence" and can also mean "perfect" or "ideal". I like the translations "skillful" and "unskillful" as well.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I'd say harmonious is definately much more in the spirit of the meaning. "Right" appeals too much to a judeo-christian black and white outlook on things. Bodoms synonyms are good too.

You want your practise to be in harmony with dhamma, rather than puffed up with the feeling of being "right" while those others not practising the dhamma are "wrong".
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

When I went looking for translations a couple of years ago I found right, whole/complete, perfect, ideal, appropriate and harmonious.
As far as I can see, no single translation is samma.
:tongue:
Kim
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

Goofaholix wrote:

I'd say harmonious is definately much more in the spirit of the meaning. "Right" appeals too much to a judeo-christian black and white outlook on things. Bodoms synonyms are good too.

You want your practise to be in harmony with dhamma, rather than puffed up with the feeling of being "right" while those others not practising the dhamma are "wrong".
Except that "right" is pretty much the meaning of the word... sammaa is in contrast with micchaa which just means "wrong". If you are into interpretive translation, power to you, but sammaa really does just mean "right". Do you think it's really the case that by calling something "right", people will necessarily become puffed up over it? I would have thought there were other reasons for that... Personally, I find "right" to be much easier to understand and appreciate than "harmonious", the latter requiring more ratiocination than I am prepared for. Like, "harmonious mindfulness"? "Harmonious concentration"? Maybe it's just me :)
asāre sāramatino, sāre cāsāradassino.
te sāraṃ nādhigacchanti, micchāsaṅkappagocarā.

sārañca sārato ñatvā, asārañca asārato.
te sāraṃ adhigacchanti, sammāsaṅkappagocarā.

Dhp. 12, 13
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I always liked the translation as "Right" too. But of the other translations, "Harmonious" seems to be very good too. The only teacher-translator that I know of that uses Harmonious is my teacher, Bhante Madawela Punnaji and he is much smarter and wiser than me.