What's going to happen to YOU when you die?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
PeterB

Re: What's going to happen to YOU when you die?

Post by PeterB »

He is good people. Thomas merton for the present generation.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Shonin wrote:I love this guy.
me too thank you :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

lojong1 wrote:Another small reason to love this guy: http://www.gratefulness.org/qbox/item.cfm?qbox_id=170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Steindl-Rast-- "Dear J.P., the God space is so vast that different space missions may bring back seemingly contradictory reports. When we speak of God, we should expect such paradoxes as fullness and emptiness. In fact, since all the opposites arise from God and are one in God, we should be suspicious of any God talk that is not paradoxical.
From early on, Christian theology has been aware that whatever we say about God, no matter how true, falls infinitely short of the full truth. (This strand of theology is called Negative or Apophatic Theology.) The emptiness of which Buddhists speak is, paradoxically, also the source of all fullness.
Don’t try to correct your spiritual advisors. Just add in your own mind what is missing. In controversies, as has been observed, most people are correct in what they affirm, but wrong in what they deny.
-- Your Brother David"
Wow :bow:
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
PeterB wrote:If time is not unconditioned, it is conditioned. It therefore arises with all conditioned phenomena. Dependently.
Or.... "time" is just a concept, and it only arises (in its capacity as a concept) when somebody conceives of it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Thanks, Retro. I also understand 'time as a concept' the same way you do.

Dhamma_spoon :stirthepot:
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

I'm going to answer the thread question directly:

What's going to happen to me when I die?

"I have no idea."

(I think speculation gets a person off the track. Its fun and I love fun but ... it's been occurring me lately that 'creating scenarios' (my father's favourite admonition 'stop creating scenarios') is just another form of grasping at self - essence - and clouds one's efforts to see things as they are)

Just my two groats on the issue. Metta and all that!

It's raining today on Mt. Meru, I sit on my front porch looking at the deer park across the way, sip my sweat tea and jabber away on my computer ... I have now reached ... nerdvana,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

:smile:

Happy Nerdvana
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Vielen (sp) danke Annapurna for having a sense of humour!

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

In my experience I think I forget time but I can never be sure because as soon as there is an assessment of time the past distorts the present and the future comes pouring in. Time must be like the mother of all concepts. It certainly is not an ordinary run of the mill concept.

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

The reality of what we experience is just this endless, ever-changing now, a now which includes memories and intentions - what we call 'the past' and 'the future'.
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Shonin

Im not sure if I see much difference between "an ever changing now" and "time". I think I see what your getting at but... ???

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

gabrielbranbury wrote:Im not sure if I see much difference between "an ever changing now" and "time". I think I see what your getting at but... ???
We could talk about these things till the cows come home. I suggest you meditate on it.
Last edited by Shonin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

I heard that time was invented to try make the trains run smoothly in India.
When I die,this body will decompose. :thinking:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning