Website suggestions?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
EricJ

Website suggestions?

Post by EricJ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:01 am

I am starting college, and I've decided to set up a little shrine in my dorm. I'm looking for a shrine table and a tapestry/wallhanging (preferrably with a Dhammacakka print), but I'm not having much luck.

Any suggestions, experienced shrine-makers?

Regards,
Eric
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

Reductor

Re: Website suggestions?

Post by Reductor » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:42 pm

EricJ wrote:I am starting college, and I've decided to set up a little shrine in my dorm. I'm looking for a shrine table and a tapestry/wallhanging (preferrably with a Dhammacakka print), but I'm not having much luck.

Any suggestions, experienced shrine-makers?

Regards,
Eric
Simplicity.

What I did for a wall 'hanging' was take my favorite painting of the Blessed one and go to http://www.blockposters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course you'll need a color printer, glue and such.

My own shrine is simple: table, cloth, rupa, books and a few large printed images made with the above site.

Actually, I'll post a pic.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 971#p82971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:17 pm

When you get to town, have your friends take you to: the Buddhist section in Powells Book Store and some of the Tibetan stores in the Hawthorne district (there are 4), and a few other usual suspects. Most artwork is from a Tibetan perspective, but occasionally you find some good Thai or Sri Lankan art and other alter items.

There is also a comic book store in town that has a Buddhist supply store in a back room... Mostly Japanese stuff (caters to the SGI crowd), but occasionally some interesting finds. I'll try to remember the name of the store and post back.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

EricJ

Post by EricJ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. I am just looking for a tapestry with a Dhamma wheel and a low table. This is the Buddharupa I'm getting: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ ... 8KFCCJE22F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'll probably have my Dhamma books on the shrine (representing the Dhamma) and some flowers/plants flanking the Buddha image.

Monkey Mind, I know there is a shop on Hawthorne called Nakayama Butsudans. A lot of their products are very, very expensive, though. I'll definitely check out those places you mentioned. I haven't even visited Powell's yet. Are you referring to the main store in the downtown area?
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Yep, the main store. Near their Eastern Religions section, they have a glass case with Buddha rupas and other devices. Some of the merchandise is alter quality, some of it is new age trinkets. Me, I was gifted the rupa on my alter from an Avon catalog. One could tease me, but it is very beautiful. A dear friend hand-quilted the cloth it sits on.

There is also a new age bookstore on NW 23rd, near Thurman St, that actually has some good Theravada artwork. I don't ever shop there, though, because the incense is enough to gag me.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710