Government service

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Wagner

Government service

Post by Wagner »

Greetings,

Not being subject to government service is a condition for ordination as a bhikkhu. I was wondering how being subject to military service relates to this? I am in the "reserve" (I will be called if there is a need), in the same way, as far as I know, as every healthy male here in Brazil who isn't in the army. My knowledge about these military obligations is quite limited, I was wondering if anyone have any advice on this matter, as these things should be quite similar in different countries.

Thank you.
shjohnk

Re: Government service

Post by shjohnk »

Hi Wagner,

Can you gain exemption for religious reasons? I know that when military service was compuslory in Australia (up untll the end of the Vietnam war), you could be excused if your religion prohibited the taking of life, and some fundamentalist Christians used this to avoid military service Maybe Brazil has a similar provision in its law?
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Except shjohnk any Government is likely to be informed by its military people that there are Buddhists serving in every branch of the military in most countries. Buddhism does not per se teach pacifism. There are thriving societies for Buddhists serving in the military..
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Wagner wrote:Greetings,

Not being subject to government service is a condition for ordination as a bhikkhu. I was wondering how being subject to military service relates to this? I am in the "reserve" (I will be called if there is a need), in the same way, as far as I know, as every healthy male here in Brazil who isn't in the army. My knowledge about these military obligations is quite limited, I was wondering if anyone have any advice on this matter, as these things should be quite similar in different countries.

Thank you.
We will be called to the army, only, in case of war engagement. Probabily, in this life, this will never happen. Brazil is a peaceful and diplomatic country, our army is also defficient.
Wagner

Post by Wagner »

Thank you all for your answers.
Goedert wrote:
Wagner wrote:Greetings,

Thank you.
We will be called to the army, only, in case of war engagement. Probabily, in this life, this will never happen. Brazil is a peaceful and diplomatic country, our army is also defficient.
Yes, but I don't know if I'd need to be exempt in order to fulfil the condition.
shjohnk wrote:Hi Wagner,

Can you gain exemption for religious reasons? I know that when military service was compuslory in Australia (up untll the end of the Vietnam war), you could be excused if your religion prohibited the taking of life, and some fundamentalist Christians used this to avoid military service Maybe Brazil has a similar provision in its law?
I've found something about exemption for religious reasons. It only talks about Jehovah's Witnesses, however. It seems I will need to contact someone in order to get this this information about exemption when concerning Buddhism.

Let's hope this doesn't get troublesome. :)
lawrence_barretti

Post by lawrence_barretti »

Hello Wagner,

My name is Lawrence Barretti and I am from São Paulo Brazil. I´m preparing myself to go forth as bhikkhu in the theravada tradition as well. I would like to talk to you about it, please send me an e-mail at [email protected]

Metta

Lawrence Barretti
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hello,

I think ordaining as a bhikkhu is fine. But you do get called for such service, you would have to disrobe and do your service at that time. It is unlikely that you will, however.

Kevin