Alms offering to Monkhood in the morning

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fabianfred

Re: Alms offering to Monkhood in the morning

Post by fabianfred »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamguava/2 ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have stopped on my alms-round and given stuff to kids..... it is a great feeling to share and they appreciate it...but sometimes the adults look askance because they think I should consume the offerings myself. Not possible when we get too much....a monk can get by on a very lean diet since there is little exercise, and being on the edge of hunger is good for meditation because it keeps you sharp and not drowsy. Food isn't usually wasted anyway as there are beggers and drunks who come looking for food and always the hungry dogs, and birds and fish etc.
I go often to a school we opened for children of Shan migrant workers near the burmese border, so i save anything like milk, sweets, cookies, cakes, tinned fish, noodles etc. to take to them....a very little goes a long way and is much appreciated by them.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=412174601988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 172&ref=mf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =529691988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =529691988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

fabianfred wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamguava/2 ... otostream/

I have stopped on my alms-round and given stuff to kids..... it is a great feeling to share and they appreciate it...but sometimes the adults look askance because they think I should consume the offerings myself. Not possible when we get too much....a monk can get by on a very lean diet since there is little exercise, and being on the edge of hunger is good for meditation because it keeps you sharp and not drowsy. Food isn't usually wasted anyway as there are beggers and drunks who come looking for food and always the hungry dogs, and birds and fish etc.
I go often to a school we opened for children of Shan migrant workers near the burmese border, so i save anything like milk, sweets, cookies, cakes, tinned fish, noodles etc. to take to them....a very little goes a long way and is much appreciated by them.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=412174601988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 172&ref=mf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so are you ordained now or was it just a temporary thing?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

I ordained as a novice on 9th May and monk on 21st July....... the story continues...... :anjali:
bodom

Post by bodom »

tiltbillings wrote:
bodom wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Being on the receiving end of having food so kindly given every morning was a wonderful practice of mudita.
You were once ordained Tilt?

:anjali:
Four month as a novice. It was my "rains retreat." This was in late 1974. I ordained with the now Ajahn Munindo at Wat Bowan in Bangkok.
Very cool. Ajahn Munindo is a great teacher. I would love too see the pic.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

bodom wrote:
Very cool. Ajahn Munindo is a great teacher. I would love too see the pic.
I'll scan a couple.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Dana sutta
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1997–2009
Translator's note: This discourse discusses the motivations one might have for being generous, and rates in ascending order the results that different motivations can lead to. The Commentary notes that the highest motivation, untainted by lower motivations and leading to non-returning, requires a certain level of mastery in concentration and insight in order to be one's genuine motivation for giving.

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying in Campa, on the shore of Gaggara Lake. Then a large number of lay followers from Campa went to Ven. Sariputta and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As they were sitting there they said to Ven. Sariputta: "It has been a long time, venerable sir, since we have had a chance to hear a Dhamma talk in the Blessed One's presence. It would be good if we could get to hear a Dhamma talk in the Blessed One's presence."

"Then in that case, my friends, come again on the next Uposatha day, and perhaps you'll get to hear a Dhamma talk in the Blessed One's presence."

"As you say, venerable sir," the lay followers from Campa said to Ven. Sariputta. Rising from their seats, bowing down to him, and then circling him — keeping him on their right — they left.

Then, on the following Uposatha day, the lay followers from Campa went to Ven. Sariputta and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, stood to one side. Then Ven. Sariputta, together with the lay followers from Campa, went to the Blessed One and on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One: "Might there be the case where a person gives a gift of a certain sort and it does not bear great fruit or great benefit, whereas another person gives a gift of the same sort and it bears great fruit and great benefit?"

"Yes, Sariputta, there would be the case where a person gives a gift of a certain sort and it does not bear great fruit or great benefit, whereas another person gives a gift of the same sort and it bears great fruit and great benefit."

"Lord, what is the cause, what is the reason, why a person gives a gift of a certain sort and it does not bear great fruit or great benefit, whereas another person gives a gift of the same sort and it bears great fruit and great benefit?"

"Sariputta, there is the case where a person gives a gift seeking his own profit, with a mind attached [to the reward], seeking to store up for himself [with the thought], 'I'll enjoy this after death.' He gives his gift — food, drink, clothing, a vehicle; a garland, perfume, & ointment; bedding, shelter, & a lamp — to a priest or a contemplative. What do you think, Sariputta? Might a person give such a gift as this?"

"Yes, lord."

"Having given this gift seeking his own profit — with a mind attached [to the reward], seeking to store up for himself, [with the thought], 'I'll enjoy this after death' — on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the Four Great Kings. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a returner, coming back to this world.

"Then there is the case of a person who gives a gift not seeking his own profit, not with a mind attached [to the reward], not seeking to store up for himself, nor [with the thought], 'I'll enjoy this after death.' Instead, he gives a gift with the thought, 'Giving is good.' He gives his gift — food, drink, clothing, a vehicle; a garland, perfume, & ointment; bedding, shelter, & a lamp — to a priest or a contemplative. What do you think, Sariputta? Might a person give such a gift as this?"

"Yes, lord."

"Having given this gift with the thought, 'Giving is good,' on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the Devas of the Thirty-three. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a returner, coming back to this world.

"Or, instead of thinking, 'Giving is good,' he gives a gift with the thought, 'This was given in the past, done in the past, by my father & grandfather. It would not be right for me to let this old family custom be discontinued'... on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the Devas of the Hours. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a returner, coming back to this world.

"Or, instead... he gives a gift with the thought, 'I am well-off. These are not well-off. It would not be right for me, being well-off, not to give a gift to those who are not well-off'... on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the Contented Devas. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a returner, coming back to this world.

"Or, instead... he gives a gift with the thought, 'Just as there were the great sacrifices of the sages of the past — Atthaka, Vamaka, Vamadeva, Vessamitta, Yamataggi, Angirasa, Bharadvaja, Vasettha, Kassapa, & Bhagu — in the same way will this be my distribution of gifts'... on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the devas who delight in creation. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a returner, coming back to this world.

"Or, instead... he gives a gift with the thought, 'When this gift of mine is given, it makes the mind serene. Gratification & joy arise'... on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the devas who have power over the creations of others. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a returner, coming back to this world.

"Or, instead of thinking, 'When this gift of mine is given, it makes the mind serene. Gratification & joy arise,' he gives a gift with the thought, 'This is an ornament for the mind, a support for the mind.' He gives his gift — food, drink, clothing, a vehicle; a garland, perfume, & ointment; bedding, shelter, & a lamp — to a priest or a contemplative. What do you think, Sariputta? Might a person give such a gift as this?"

"Yes, lord."

"Having given this, not seeking his own profit, not with a mind attached [to the reward], not seeking to store up for himself, nor [with the thought], 'I'll enjoy this after death,'

" — nor with the thought, 'Giving is good,'

" — nor with the thought, 'This was given in the past, done in the past, by my father & grandfather. It would not be right for me to let this old family custom be discontinued,'

" — nor with the thought, 'I am well-off. These are not well-off. It would not be right for me, being well-off, not to give a gift to those who are not well-off,' nor with the thought, 'Just as there were the great sacrifices of the sages of the past — Atthaka, Vamaka, Vamadeva, Vessamitta, Yamataggi, Angirasa, Bharadvaja, Vasettha, Kassapa, & Bhagu — in the same way this will be my distribution of gifts,'

" — nor with the thought, 'When this gift of mine is given, it makes the mind serene. Gratification & joy arise,'

" — but with the thought, 'This is an ornament for the mind, a support for the mind' — on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of Brahma's Retinue. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a non-returner. He does not come back to this world.

"This, Sariputta, is the cause, this is the reason, why a person gives a gift of a certain sort and it does not bear great fruit or great benefit, whereas another person gives a gift of the same sort and it bears great fruit and great benefit."
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha