Why should we care about the new life after rebirth?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Viscid

Re: Why should we care about the new life after rebirth?

Post by Viscid »

I've had a lovely life thus far and if previous lifetimes were responsible for allowing me to live this one, then I am eternally grateful, and will strive to condition a subsequent good lifetime.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Terasi wrote: Sorry I don't really get the question. My sister didn't try to help me, she didn't think for me, she wouldn't have this question in mind simply because she doesn't think about spirituality much at this stage. She was just commenting with critical mind when I shared what I just read with her. I wasn't trying to convince her either, I've found a lot of peace even with the little I've learned about Buddhism, and it's like I buy a cake and wanted to share the delicious thing with her, but yeah, it would be good if I was able to answer.
Hi Terasi,

What I meant to say was that it is always a good idea to help someone we are related to, and we have a strong connection with our next existences, much stronger connection than with many of the people we help now (for example a neighbor or a co-worker). So I not do what we can to help our next existence?
With Metta
5heaps

Post by 5heaps »

Terasi wrote:She pointed out that: between Terasi and Teraso there is no memory link, nor there is any knowledge of each other, so those two are basically two different people.
although there is no coarse memory link there is a coarse link of cause and effect;
that future person will have a different name to today's person, but the future person will suffer horribly or experience happiness based on what is done now.

similar to how you treat your body now will have an effect on your body in 50 years; the body in 50 yrs wont entirely resemble the body now, and yet what you are doing will produce incredible aches and pains in the future :)
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
ground

Post by ground »

Terasi wrote:She pointed out that: between Terasi and Teraso there is no memory link, nor there is any knowledge of each other, so those two are basically two different people.

And the question is: in the selfish point of view of a mere human full of defilement, why should Terasi struggles to cultivate herself just for the benefit of "someone else" (Teraso)?
Correct. This is exactly the question it boils down to in this point of view. And a nearly identical question in the same point of view is: Why should one care about others in this life? Why should one avoid harming others? Simply because one is able to? Or because there is a proscription?

Kind regards
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

If she can accept the idea of rebirth for the sake of this question, then your sister is experiencing some good karma from a previous birth. If she is at all grateful for the previous life's good deeds (again assuming she accepts rebirth for the sake of discussion), then she should be glad and do the same for the life after her.

Also, by caring for your current life via practicing the Dhamma, you automatically care about the next life by cultivating positive qualities that will continue once this life is done.

:anjali:
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
alan...

Post by alan... »

there's no definitive answer. she has a solid point. with no memory of past lives why care? this is why the buddha specified that the dhamma is good in the beginning, middle and end. it has direct positive benefits here and now so even if you have no interest in your future incarnations it will still feel the best to practice. tell her to learn jhana meditation and then after she has mastered the first jhana see if she still sees no point in practicing. this is not what the dhamma is about to be clear but it's a solid example of direct benefit we get here and now from practice that does not depend on any belief or care about future incarnations. there are many though, mindfulness feels great and really helps every aspect of ones life, following the precepts will make people love you and care about you, and so on and so on. the dhamma is good for you regardless of future birth(s).