Help, what is good for expecting mother?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Terasi

Help, what is good for expecting mother?

Post by Terasi »

My ex boss is expecting twins, she had a few miscarriages before, so she is extremely careful with this one. I just visited her, she looked pale and weak, she said she is having difficult pregnancy but didn't elaborate and I didn't dare to ask further.
I am thinking of bringing her some food stuff that can help nourishing her body and/or babies inside, can anyone tell me what is good to bring?
(If this was in my original country, I'd feed her chicken feet with special herbs, but of course that's out of question lol).

She's very cautious of her food, self-proclaimed "pasta girl", always refused sushi and yum cha.
Greek family Greek tradition but grew up with pasta and roast, I think...
Annapurna

Re: Help, what is good for expecting mother?

Post by Annapurna »

I see your lovely intentions, but please be cautious with food.

Food can also make people ill, and even if it was perfectly fine, people can blame you for it....you see?

Imagine she will miscarry again, what if you brought her food shortly before this, and she is thinking your food caused it?

You can never go wrong with beautiful scented flowers though. She will be delighted and it will do her good. You could also bring her a collection of uplifting short stories, poetry, soft relaxing music, a beautiful fan for her hand if it is hot, and other things that bring her comfort and joy.

Food is a great idea, but like I said, you could also bring yourself into a possibly vulnerable position, but then I don't know...perhaps some ripe, exquisite, organic fruit with lots of vitamins in it ? In a basket along with flowers and a nice CD or book?

(Don't know how your budget is....) :smile:

I'd be more than happy about this.
Terasi

Post by Terasi »

Oh thanks a lot.. I didn't think about that point.

I suppose you are right, better get things like flowers, fruits, books, or CD's.

:thanks:
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Pasta Primavera, is a good one.
adeh

Post by adeh »

An old friend of mine used to swear by Raspberry leaf tea when she was pregnant, but I don't actually know why. She used to drink gallons of it.
adeh

Post by adeh »

Just checked Wikipedia and this is what it has to say on raspberry leaf and pregnancy:

Traditional lore recommends the use of raspberry leaf tea to pregnant women, especially as an aid in delivery.[1] The leaves contain high concentrations of several vitamins and minerals because of the plant's secondary compounds. Vitamin C and vitamin E are present in large amounts as well as Vitamin A and some B Complex. Increased Vitamin A intake in the form of the carotenoids of red raspberry leaf can aid the women’s immune system as well as facilitate healthy skin and bone development for the baby. Vitamin E serves to promote better circulation in the mother who is dramatically increasing her blood volume during pregnancy.

The red raspberry leaf also contains many essential minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, and an easily assimilated form of calcium. An increased availability of calcium is necessary in controlling nerve response to pain during childbirth and in aiding bone development in the fetus. It also contains fragrine, an alkaloid which help tone the muscles of the pelvic region including the uterus. This allows the uterus to contract more powerfully and effectively during labor.

Many midwives[who?] report that red raspberry leaf aids in focusing the pre-labor contractions that help a woman’s uterus to prepare for delivery. The high vitamin and mineral content help replace those lost via blood loss during delivery. Also, the alkaloids will continue toning the uterus as it returns to its usual size. In some women, the high mineral content may even help their milk to come in. Some people[who?] believe it is not recommended for breast feeding and use of the leaf should conclude with in 6 weeks of birth. However, according to Every Woman's Herbal, raspberry leaf tea will enrich the mother's milk, especially during periods when the baby is going through a growth spurt.[2] Continuing to consume raspberry leaf after the baby is 6 weeks old is not dangerous to the mother or the infant and may be beneficial.

There is considerable discussion around the possible benefits of raspberry leaf tea taken late in pregnancy, [3] and most sources agree that it should be avoided in early pregnancy. The consensus seems to be that while taking raspberry leaf tea should not be expected to bring the onset of labour forward, it may shorten the second stage of labour.[4][5] Most of the evidence available is anecdotal, however a recent review stressed concern at the lack of evidence for safety and efficacy.[6]
Terasi

Post by Terasi »

Thank you Goedert and Adeh
I am asking ex-colleagues if they want to join me.

:thanks: