In search of a noble teacher.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
appicchato

Re: In search of a noble teacher.

Post by appicchato »

Anicca wrote:Just to clarify - the Noblest Teacher being the Dhamma?
To me the Buddha is the Noblest Teacher, but as he re-discovered the Dhamma and that is what he taught, I guess you could say that...
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Thank you, Bhante Appicchato!
appicchato wrote:I guess you could say that...
I guess the Buddha said as much in DN 16 - the Maha-parinibbana Sutta:
So you should train yourselves: 'We will keep practicing the Dhamma in accordance with the Dhamma, we will keep practicing masterfully, we will live in accordance with the Dhamma.That's how you should train yourselves."
Metta
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

andrewuk wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:Ajahn Amaro has just taken over as Abbott of Chithurst and part of his remit will certainly entail preparing people for ordination.
Hello,

I think Ajahn Amaro is the new abbot of Amaravati Monastery... Not Chithurst :-)

Metta.

Andrew
Sorry slip of the typing finger..thanks for the correction. :embarassed: .
Anyway Wind, a Noble Teacher In the Forest Tradition who speaks fluent English, he IS English, part of whose remit will be to train those who profess an interest in ordination.
:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Are you suggesting that some teachers are ignoble and you want to avoid them?

The best way to decide which teacher you want to stay with long term is to go and spend a few weeks or months on retreat with any or all teachers that might interest you until you find one you want to stay with.

Most people have had more than one teacher and you can learn a lot by learning from any and every teacher. It's good to find one you really want to stay with long term but it doesn't always happen like that so in the words of the song "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Good points Goofaholix,

There are many teachers out there. A few are famous, but that doesn't mean that the others are worthless. And as has already been mentioned, it's unlikely you'll be able to get a lot of personal attention from a famous teacher. (Not that it's not worthwhile to have such contact if you have the opportunity, of course.)

Mike
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Ven Dhammajiva gives personal instructions. Any meditation instructor worth his or her salt should be able to do that. I feel sorry for anyone who has not had personal instructions because they are missing out a lot.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi rowyourboat,

I'm not sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing with my post:
rowyourboat wrote:Ven Dhammajiva gives personal instructions. Any meditation instructor worth his or her salt should be able to do that. I feel sorry for anyone who has not had personal instructions because they are missing out a lot.
Yes, this is exactly my point. I've had excellent long-term instruction from non-famous local teachers. I've some a few excellent instructions and short conversations with moderately famous teachers. The latter were useful, interesting, and inspiring, but in my experience no replacement for long-term personal interactions.

Mike