In search of a noble teacher.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Wind

In search of a noble teacher.

Post by Wind »

Hi everyone

I have decided to seriously search for a noble teacher to possibly be ordain under. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a highly regarded teacher? I prefer a teacher in the Thai forest tradition who can speak fluent English. I am also open to any noble teacher from Sri Lanka as well.

Thanks for your help

Wind
Goedert

Re: In search of a noble teacher.

Post by Goedert »

Friend,

Bhante G, at West Virginia in USA.

His monostery website is:

http://www.bhavanasociety.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Ven Dhammajiva, Sri Lanka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissarana_Vanaya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
_Daniel_

Post by _Daniel_ »

rowyourboat wrote:Ven Dhammajiva, Sri Lanka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissarana_Vanaya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hello rowyourboat, do you know that monastery? have you been there? I am looking for a monastery to do a 3-4 weeks retreat to learn and practise more things about buddhism, and I like this place, but I don't see any email or address to contact with this monastery, could you help me with it? Thank You.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery

Buddhist monastery in the Thai Forest Sangha tradition of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho.

http://www.abhayagiri.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Ajahn Amaro. Chithurst Forest Monastery UK.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Wind

Post by Wind »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will look up each and everyone one of them and learn more about them. :)
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

_Daniel_ wrote:
rowyourboat wrote:Ven Dhammajiva, Sri Lanka
hello rowyourboat, do you know that monastery? have you been there? I am looking for a monastery to do a 3-4 weeks retreat to learn and practise more things about buddhism, and I like this place, but I don't see any email or address to contact with this monastery, could you help me with it? Thank You.
Hi Daniel,

It might be best to just call them up on their phone line (Tel:0094 602 339 193) and speak to someone. Alternatively (or in addition) If you could send me some details about yourself and what you want to do I can pass it on to Ven Dhammajiva, who will get back to you on it. (please email me on 'matheeshag'at'hotmail.com)

with metta
:smile:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

The OP is looking for a 'Noble Teacher'...and good luck to him/her...although (my) reality compels me to say that all of the subsequent 'recommendations' will not give (what I consider to be) the desired outcome...the people mentioned give talks but not the personalized instruction that I get the feeling the OP is looking for...in fact it would be difficult to find any 'name' that does...if asked I would recommend reading the Suttas and go with the Noblest Teacher from the git go...just a bit of reflection from personal observation...
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Ajahn Amaro has just taken over as Abbott of Chithurst and part of his remit will certainly entail preparing people for ordination.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Howdy Bhante Appicchato!
appicchato wrote:if asked I would recommend reading the Suttas and go with the Noblest Teacher from the git go...just a bit of reflection from personal observation...
Just to clarify - the Noblest Teacher being the Dhamma?

Metta
andrewuk

Post by andrewuk »

Sanghamitta wrote:Ajahn Amaro has just taken over as Abbott of Chithurst and part of his remit will certainly entail preparing people for ordination.
Hello,

I think Ajahn Amaro is the new abbot of Amaravati Monastery... Not Chithurst :-)

Metta.

Andrew
Meditate, don't be negligent, lest you may later regret it!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

andrewuk wrote: I think Ajahn Amaro is the new abbot of Amaravati Monastery... Not Chithurst :-)
Yes, see here: http://forestsangha.org/index.php?optio ... g&Itemid=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Change of abbot at Amaravati
Saturday, 01 May 2010 07:40

In early April 2010 senior members of the Forest Sangha associated with the monasteries in Europe met at Amaravati for their usual annual gathering. From 6–10 April, 21 theras and 6 theris (monks and nuns respectively of over 10 years training) conducted mixed and separate meetings to address community business.

One of the most important items was a formal announcement by Luang Por Sumedho of his intention to retire from being abbot at Amaravati. Luang Por had earlier expressed his wish that Ajahn Amaro from Abhayagiri Monastery in California (who attended these meetings) take up the role of abbot following his own departure at the end of this year. After meeting with the monks and nuns at Amaravati and with the Elders’ Council, Ajahn Amaro was heartily welcomed to take up Luang Por’s invitation, and it was agreed that he will become the new abbot at Amaravati.

It is Luang Por Sumedho's wish initially to return to live in Thailand, probably at Wat Nong Pah Pong. He plans to depart soon after this year's Kathina at Amaravati on 14th November. For further information please see http://www.amaravati.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
appicchato wrote:if asked I would recommend reading the Suttas and go with the Noblest Teacher from the git go...just a bit of reflection from personal observation...
:goodpost:

The Buddha is cool.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Wind

Post by Wind »

appicchato wrote:The OP is looking for a 'Noble Teacher'...and good luck to him/her...although (my) reality compels me to say that all of the subsequent 'recommendations' will not give (what I consider to be) the desired outcome...the people mentioned give talks but not the personalized instruction that I get the feeling the OP is looking for...in fact it would be difficult to find any 'name' that does...if asked I would recommend reading the Suttas and go with the Noblest Teacher from the git go...just a bit of reflection from personal observation...
You are right Bhante. That's exactly the type of teacher I am looking for. I know it is hard to find such noble teacher so I have always depended on my suttas for guidance. But I believe a noble one exist today, so I hope to find such teacher who can give me personal instructions.