Paccekabuddhas in Canon & Commentary

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
piotr

Re: Paccekabuddhas in Canon & Commentary

Post by piotr »

Hi bhante Dhammanando,

How is your translation project going on? :smile: Or did you abandoned it? In connection to the other topic, I was hoping to read something about possibility of female paccekabuddhas. Is it excluded or not? Since Aṅguttara-nikāya mentiones two kinds of the buddhas (pacceka- & sammāsam-), and speaks only about impossibility of female sammāsambuddha, then I assume that female paccekabuddha is not an impossibility. But maybe you can shed more light on that.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
Heavenstorm

Post by Heavenstorm »

gavesako wrote:Any other cases of paccekabuddha candidates?
I read before that some stream enterers were reborn during the time of the extinction of Dharma. However, they were at the final stage of seventh rebirth, they had to become Arahants and because Buddha's teachings had disappeared, they were also being labeled as "solitary realizers" or "Paccekabuddha". Not the real deal though..........
Nyanatusita

Post by Nyanatusita »

There is a BPS Wheel Publication called The Paccekabuddha: A Buddhist Ascetic, A Study of the Concept of the Paccekabuddha in Pali Canonical and Commentarial Literature by Ria Kloppenborg. It is a abridged version of her larger book. It has not been uploaded yet to the BPS Online Library, but this will probably happen soon. If anyone is interested I could upload it to this forum as an attachment if that is possible.

Bh. Nyanatusita
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Nyanatusita wrote:There is a BPS Wheel Publication called The Paccekabuddha: A Buddhist Ascetic, A Study of the Concept of the Paccekabuddha in Pali Canonical and Commentarial Literature by Ria Kloppenborg. It is a abridged version of her larger book. It has not been uploaded yet to the BPS Online Library, but this will probably happen soon. If anyone is interested I could upload it to this forum as an attachment if that is possible.

Bh. Nyanatusita
This a great idea. I'm all for it.

:namaste:
Dhammakid
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
Nyanatusita wrote:If anyone is interested I could upload it to this forum as an attachment if that is possible.
If you have any problems in doing so, please let me know (and in doing so, please let me know the file format and size).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."