Can effect arise simulteneously with its cause?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

Re: Can effect arise simulteneously with its cause?

Post by Ben »

Hmmm....
If memory serves me well I think I was reading something related to this in Vism in the Dependent Origination chapter. From my readings, which I hope to confirm later, a cause and effect cannot arise simultaneously.
However, will get back to you on that one.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

My understanding is that the Buddha never taught that there was on cause and one effect. He taught conditionality.

with metta
Chris
This is how Prof Y Karunadasa always explains and stresses it, too. He has details in his "Dhamma Theory" booklet.

However, the Sarvastivadins did have a particular later causal system wherein cause and effect arose simultaneously. From memory, it was called something like "sahajata" (together-born) cause. This is mainly in their "six causes" system, rather than their somewhat earlier "four conditions" system.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Ben wrote:Hmmm....
If memory serves me well I think I was reading something related to this in Vism in the Dependent Origination chapter. From my readings, which I hope to confirm later, a cause and effect cannot arise simultaneously.
However, will get back to you on that one.
kind regards

Ben
From a temporal standpoint Ben that's true, however if time is arising dependently along with everything else then simultaneously or sequentially have only relative existence. Which of course has enormous implications when applied to other processes. Rebirth for example.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Peter
I think I well and truly did my head in trying to immerse myself in Buddhaghosa's explanation of dependent origination. I know I've done my head in because I'm going back for another go! I'm not much of a theoretical physicist but in my rudimentary understanding, causality seems to presume that temporality is a field in which causality operates. Taking temporality out of the equation doesn't help my understanding of causality. But then I'm not suggesting that it doesn't explain things well for others.
Anyway, you reminded me to go digging through Vism again, and that can't be a bad thing - or can it??.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ben wrote:I think I well and truly did my head in trying to immerse myself in Buddhaghosa's explanation of dependent origination. I know I've done my head in because I'm going back for another go!
That's funny. :lol:

I remember encountering those chapters of the Visuddhimagga and thinking to myself whether any of the Theravada bhikkhus who had inspired me to that point (e.g. Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho, Thanissaro Bhikkhu) had actually understood, or felt the need to understand the immense and intricate complexity of the explanation, let alone derived any benefit from it. The words on the pages seemed worlds away from the pithy words of Ajahn Chah who said that everything is teaching us.

Ven. Buddhaghosa may well provide an answer to the question, "Can effect arise simulteneously with its cause?"... however not enough of the Buddhaghosa rendition of Dependent Origination actually 'stuck' for me to comment. Again, that's neither here nor there, but that was my experience, and Ben's comments made me smile.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

In the end its bums on cushions isn't it ?

For me the main, perhaps only ,relevance of the temporarity issue is the bearing it has on providing a different way of viewing Rebirth..that points to an accommodation with Buddhadasa..