very nice way to study pali easily drop by drop

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Sekha

very nice way to study pali easily drop by drop

Post by Sekha »

there's the whole dhammapada with detailed analysis and translation of the pali text. Great job done

http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/ ... _pali3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anicca

Re: very nice way to study pali easily drop by drop

Post by Anicca »

Wonderful! Thanks Dukkhanirodha!

I've wanted to understand the pronounciations (after all - wasn't writing Pali a kludge? - wasn't it meant to be spoken not written?) - tried to get 'how to speak it' going here but no one seemed to really be interested - this resource is awesome!

If there is anyone out there familiar with the pronounciation - is the above link in a particular dialect?

metta
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Very good Dukkhanirodha.

:anjali:
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

(after all - wasn't writing Pali a kludge? - wasn't it meant to be spoken not written?)
Makes no difference to me... I'm deaf. :tongue:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:there's the whole dhammapada with detailed analysis and translation of the pali text. Great job done
http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/ ... _pali3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumbsup:
Agent

Post by Agent »

Wow, this is really amazing. Thank you.
:anjali:
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Wow, that is tremendous, thanks Dukkhanirodha!

If anyone can help -- when I click on the links at the bottom under pronunciation, the page refreshes and the address changes to a .wav, so I'm guessing I should be hearing an audio pronunciation, is that what you're getting? And if so, any ideas on why I'm not?
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Howdy Tex!
Speaker turned on? OOuucchhh! :tongue:

Yes, i just tried the first gatha - Sentence pronunciation - it pulls up a .wav - surely you have quickTime or something associated with .wav files? Hmm... Slow connection? Can you download it to your computer?

Metta
Tex

Post by Tex »

Yeah, it works if I save the clip and use a player to open it. Just seemed like the intention on the site was to stream it and I thought I didn't have something set correctly.

No worries, though, this works, thanks!
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus