Interpretations of the Taints and Fetters

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
gavesako

Re: Interpretations of the Taints and Fetters

Post by gavesako »

This is a good simile:

"Just as when an ocean-going ship, rigged with masts & stays, after six months on the water, is left on shore for the winter: Its stays, weathered by the heat & wind, moistened by the clouds of the rainy season, easily wither & rot away. In the same way, when a monk dwells devoting himself to development, his fetters easily wither & rot away."

ttp://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn2 ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Freawaru

Post by Freawaru »

Dear Bhante,
gavesako wrote:This is a good simile:

"Just as when an ocean-going ship, rigged with masts & stays, after six months on the water, is left on shore for the winter: Its stays, weathered by the heat & wind, moistened by the clouds of the rainy season, easily wither & rot away. In the same way, when a monk dwells devoting himself to development, his fetters easily wither & rot away."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for the simile. I very much dislike it - not the simile itself of course but what it means. Just like this one taken from the same sutta:
"Just as when a carpenter or carpenter's apprentice sees the marks of his fingers or thumb on the handle of his adze but does not know, 'Today my adze handle wore down this much, or yesterday it wore down that much, or the day before yesterday it wore down this much,' still he knows it is worn through when it is worn through. In the same way, when a monk dwells devoting himself to development, he does not know, 'Today my effluents wore down this much, or yesterday they wore down that much, or the day before yesterday they wore down this much,' still he knows they are worn through when they are worn through.
Why can't we use a kind of "microscope" and see the "handle" wearing through? :cry:

:wink:
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Why bother? Besides for curiosity's sake.
Freawaru

Post by Freawaru »

Kenshou wrote:Why bother? Besides for curiosity's sake.
I just like to observe and analyse mind processes.... :popcorn: