A small disaster

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

A small disaster

Post by Ben »

Hi all

I carry around with me Sony's first hard-drive walkman, the NW-HD1. Its a stylish little fellow which contains a selection of music tracks, but most importantly, my collection of sutta chants and 'group-sit' audio files that I have been using for nearly five years when I meditate. I just pop on the active noise reduction headphones, select a chant or group-sit track and I can meditate almost anywhere. So, on my return to my new home from Melbourne the other day, I stuffed my system into my faux-leather satchel and didn't think twice until after I got off the plane at Launceston. Usually when I fly alone I go into 'imitation sleep' mode and wile away my time quietly observing the evanescing flora of moment-to-moment experience to the deep resonances of my teacher chanting the Atanatiya, the Satipatthana or a number of other suttas or parittas while the active-noise reduction headphones cancel out a lot of the ambient background noise. This time, for some reason, I decided to read instead. I was near completion of one Dhamma Book and was keen to start another I bought at the Theosophical Society Bookshop in Melbourne.
I did not think twice about what the magnets lurking in the corners of my satchel (magnetic clasp) might do to my harddrive. When I got home, I retrieved my player and noticed some bizarre messages on its screen, including 'no database found'. Oh dear!
Fortunately, the sutta chants, group sit and discourse files were not deleted frm my computer when I did some spring cleaning about a year ago. All that is required is to upload the player with the stored files and I'm back in business and to keep my player away from my bag!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Re: A small disaster

Post by Cittasanto »

well it could of been worse!
not the same or worse but I once had to completely reboot my laptop, and lost all my talks music, etc, never thought of saving them on disc (although the music was from disc) so spent about 12 hours finding and downloading the talks again, and putting the music back on! pain but worth the trouble and yet not learnt my lesson yet! still no back up and happened twice?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Not being a techie, more like a neo-luddite, I could never figure out how to backup my files. So I found Mozy, which does it automatically. I have not had to really test it, because no hard drive failures, but it is an option many like.

http://mozy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Will wrote:Not being a techie, more like a neo-luddite, I could never figure out how to backup my files. So I found Mozy, which does it automatically. I have not had to really test it, because no hard drive failures, but it is an option many like.

http://mozy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks will!

and before I forget, Welcome back Ben
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Ben -- I know squat about things-technical, but if you escaped the Aussie fires I've been reading about, I figure you're ahead of the curve. :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Manapa! I'm still to upload some photos of our new home.
Thanks Will. I'm looking at replacing my desktop with a laptop in the near future so I will definitely keep mozy in mind. My son has a 300Gb external hard-drive so I really should take advantage of that and store my most precious files.

Thanks Adam. I was reading about the bushfires this morning. Its very sad. Twelve deaths so far with a further 40 people missing. To my knowledge there were no fires in the Creswick State Forest, which backs onto our old home. Nonetheless, having packed and moved in 40+ heat, I know its an experience that most sane people can do without.
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ben wrote:Hi all

I carry around with me Sony's first hard-drive walkman, the NW-HD1. Its a stylish little fellow which contains a selection of music tracks, but most importantly, my collection of sutta chants and 'group-sit' audio files that I have been using for nearly five years when I meditate. I just pop on the active noise reduction headphones, select a chant or group-sit track and I can meditate almost anywhere. So, on my return to my new home from Melbourne the other day, I stuffed my system into my faux-leather satchel and didn't think twice until after I got off the plane at Launceston. Usually when I fly alone I go into 'imitation sleep' mode and wile away my time quietly observing the evanescing flora of moment-to-moment experience to the deep resonances of my teacher chanting the Atanatiya, the Satipatthana or a number of other suttas or parittas while the active-noise reduction headphones cancel out a lot of the ambient background noise. This time, for some reason, I decided to read instead. I was near completion of one Dhamma Book and was keen to start another I bought at the Theosophical Society Bookshop in Melbourne.
I did not think twice about what the magnets lurking in the corners of my satchel (magnetic clasp) might do to my harddrive. When I got home, I retrieved my player and noticed some bizarre messages on its screen, including 'no database found'. Oh dear!
Fortunately, the sutta chants, group sit and discourse files were not deleted frm my computer when I did some spring cleaning about a year ago. All that is required is to upload the player with the stored files and I'm back in business and to keep my player away from my bag!
Metta

Ben
I am like a "hoarder" when it comes to data, at least I used to be. I had 10 years' worth of data, various archives, on my computer... lots of valuable stuff.. But I didn't back it up anywhere and my computer failed, and one day, it was all gone.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra