where in the canon?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
dhammastudier

where in the canon?

Post by dhammastudier »

where in the canon or if not there then just where is the buddhist explanations of the universe found? the multi universe things?
tiltbillings

Re: where in the canon?

Post by tiltbillings »

zac wrote:where in the canon or if not there then just where is the buddhist explanations of the universe found? the multi universe things?
What sort of explanation? You mean the brahmanical stuff the Buddha took and to which he gave a twist to make a Buddhist point?

(By the way, you look a little sickly. You might try a better diet and get some sun.)
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

tiltbillings wrote:
zac wrote:where in the canon or if not there then just where is the buddhist explanations of the universe found? the multi universe things?
What sort of explanation? You mean the brahmanical stuff the Buddha took and to which he gave a twist to make a Buddhist point?

(By the way, you look a little sickly. You might try a better diet and get some sun.)
not sure actually. i read a book by rupert gethin called "foundations of buddhism" and it goes in depth about the buddhist view of the universe. it goes in depth about the huge number of universes, how long each universe lasts and how they are destroyed among other things. i was trying to figure out where this stuff came from...

yeah when i was seventeen i was walking down the street with my head full of ego and alcohol and i saw a gross looking, pale, skin hanging off the bones type man wearing a yellow robe. he bit me as i walked by. i ran away. over the years i became all sickly looking like he did and i started thinking about karma and got an overwhelming hunger for dharma. alcohol started to sicken me and now i can't drink it at all. i feel great waves of peace. i walk in bookstores with both arms stiff in front of me "dhaaaaarrrrrmaaaaa...". i put my symptoms in web md. turns out i'm infected with the "karmazombie" virus. i'm a karma zombie.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

zac wrote: turns out i'm infected with the "karmazombie" virus. i'm a karma zombie.
It is something you can, by your own choice, get over. Look at my signature.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

tiltbillings wrote:
zac wrote: turns out i'm infected with the "karmazombie" virus. i'm a karma zombie.
It is something you can, by your own choice, get over. Look at my signature.
ha ha. no i'm infected with buddhism and i dig it!

so you have no idea what i'm talking about do you with the universe thing? no worries, it's not just you, i couldn't find it anywhere online either! oh well...

oh wait i just looked it up in the bibliography and some of it's from the digha nikaya from the sutta pitaka:) he talks of the contraction of the universe.
Agent

Post by Agent »

The only sutta I can recall that might apply here is the Agganna Sutta, which has to do with the expansion and contraction of the universe. By "multi universe" are you referring to the Planes of Existence?
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello zac, all,

In the Kindred Sayings (V, Maha-vagga, Book XII Kindred Sayings aout the Truths, Ch. V, part 6, Gross Darkness:

"Monks, there is a darkness of interstellar space, impenetrable gloom, such a murk of darkness as cannot enjoy the splendour of the moon and sun, though they be of such mighty magic power and majesty.'

In the rest of the Sutta, the Buddha talks about a greater and more fearsome darkness ~ Dukkha.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

As far as I am aware he doesnt talk about the Middleearthloka and other realms so beloved of later developments.
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

Agent wrote:The only sutta I can recall that might apply here is the Agganna Sutta, which has to do with the expansion and contraction of the universe. By "multi universe" are you referring to the Planes of Existence?
thanx and no at some point he talks of "multiple world systems" which refers to parallel worlds implying a multi-verse. i'll look at the ones you posted, much appreciated :smile:
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

PeterB wrote:As far as I am aware he doesnt talk about the Middleearthloka and other realms so beloved of later developments.
hmm, i have a book that shows where a couple of quotes are about the universe and the source lists locations in the tripitaka but not all of them are listed so i was trying to find the rest and couldn't even find it online. what is middleearthloka?
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

cooran wrote:Hello zac, all,

In the Kindred Sayings (V, Maha-vagga, Book XII Kindred Sayings aout the Truths, Ch. V, part 6, Gross Darkness:

"Monks, there is a darkness of interstellar space, impenetrable gloom, such a murk of darkness as cannot enjoy the splendour of the moon and sun, though they be of such mighty magic power and majesty.'

In the rest of the Sutta, the Buddha talks about a greater and more fearsome darkness ~ Dukkha.

metta
Chris
sweet thanx!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
zac wrote:what is middleearthloka?
Middle Earth is something out of Lord Of The Rings.

It is...

:offtopic:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
dhammastudier

Post by dhammastudier »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
zac wrote:what is middleearthloka?
Middle Earth is something out of Lord Of The Rings.

It is...

:offtopic:

Metta,
Retro. :)
:rofl: nice retro.