Sabbe satta sukhi hontu: Tattoo!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
withoutcolour

Sabbe satta sukhi hontu: Tattoo!

Post by withoutcolour »

I'm going to Thailand in August (I know, I know) to volunteer with elephants.
While there, I'm going to get a tattoo (from a reputable, clean artist, no worries) of the phrase "sabbe satta sukhi hontu" (which is Pali for "may all beings be happy") transcribed in Thai.
I have had several people translate it for me. (Though there's some debate over whether or not the i in sukhi should be notated as being a long vowel or not.)

So my question is: WHADDAYA THINK?
I just want an opinion of how it looks.

Here goes:

THE TEXT:

THE LOCATION:

it will start parallel to my wrist lines (ie, the top right of the photo) and end just above the dhamma wheel.

Opinions???
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
jcsuperstar

Re: Sabbe satta sukhi hontu: Tattoo!

Post by jcsuperstar »

at one point i was gonna get that around my arm, as you can see it's in my signature too! though i've spelt it a bit different
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Are they both correct though?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
convivium

Post by convivium »

http://www.visiblemantra.org/sabbesatta.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.visiblemantra.org/allhappy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
some other scripts...
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
convivium

Post by convivium »

i don't know.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
convivium

Post by convivium »

i don't know.
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

convivium wrote:http://www.visiblemantra.org/sabbesatta.html
http://www.visiblemantra.org/allhappy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
some other scripts...

Thank you, I actually had the guy that does those mantras do one of the translations for me
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sukhamanveti

Post by sukhamanveti »

withoutcolour wrote:I'm going to Thailand in August (I know, I know) to volunteer with elephants.
While there, I'm going to get a tattoo (from a reputable, clean artist, no worries) of the phrase "sabbe satta sukhi hontu" (which is Pali for "may all beings be happy") transcribed in Thai.
I have had several people translate it for me. (Though there's some debate over whether or not the i in sukhi should be notated as being a long vowel or not.)

So my question is: WHADDAYA THINK?
I just want an opinion of how it looks...

it will start parallel to my wrist lines (ie, the top right of the photo) and end just above the dhamma wheel.

Opinions???
Hi, withoutcolour.

I think it looks great! Moreover, the content is meaningful and a helpful reminder.

Tatoos of religious commitment or aspiration are the sort that I most understand and appreciate.

What sort of volunteer work are you doing with the elephants, if you don't mind me asking?
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Sukhamanveti

Thank you thank you!

I am going to be working at an elephant rehabilitation center in Phetchaburi, essentially working with abused elephants (ie, those who are used as begging elephants, physically abused or illegally smuggled/acquired). I will be bathing them, collecting food for them, feeding them and doing anything else the center needs to me to do. The rehab center is on temple grounds... and they also work with other animals that have been abused or exploited for tourism.
Last year I spent some time in Phuket taking care of and rehabilitating gibbon families. We even released a family into the wild and tracked them in the rainforest.

-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sukhamanveti

Post by sukhamanveti »

withoutcolour wrote:
I am going to be working at an elephant rehabilitation center in Phetchaburi, essentially working with abused elephants (ie, those who are used as begging elephants, physically abused or illegally smuggled/acquired). I will be bathing them, collecting food for them, feeding them and doing anything else the center needs to me to do. The rehab center is on temple grounds... and they also work with other animals that have been abused or exploited for tourism.
Last year I spent some time in Phuket taking care of and rehabilitating gibbon families. We even released a family into the wild and tracked them in the rainforest.

-wc
That is wonderful work! May your deeds bring joy to many beings.
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i got mine out of a thai chanting book, and ajahn dhammanando typed it up for me once too so i know its kosher. though mine is sabbe satta sukhita hontu

thats cool what youre doing in thailand, i should be there next summer but i'm just bummin' around visiting temples and seeing family.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Oh man thank you for posting that.
I had actually originally wanted it to say sukhita, but wasn't sure how to write it. And I trust Ven Dhammanando. So perhaps I'll change it for my tattoo. It looks better with each word having 4 characters anyway, it looks much more symmetrical.
Here's what it will look like that way:

Like it better? I do!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ