Chat Room Currently Not Operational

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

Chat Room Currently Not Operational

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

KEY UPDATES

Jan 11 2015 - "The chat room feature is not available for this new software, yet. It is a matter of time, perhaps a few months and then one will become available. This is using the latest phpbb forum software which has some nice features like the notifications link at the top right of the page, but it has the drawback of not being compatible with chat rooms yet. An offsite chat room could be created with a link at the bottom, however, members would have to create an account and log in each time over at the offsite chat room. Another option is to go to our sister site where the chat room is still available on a slightly older forum software. - http://www.dharmawheel.net/ " (David N Snyder, site owner)

Jan 17 2015 - "To anyone who is wondering about where's the chat gone, Sattva created a temporary chatroom as a solution. http://us20.chatzy.com/25904628501622 " (Modus Ponens)

For updates, see http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22520

See also: Hello To Chat Buddies topic

Metta,
Retro. :)

-----------------------

(Original posting)

Greetings,

This thread is for members to schedule chat sessions or simply announce their availability to have a chat with others in the Dhamma Wheel Chat Room...

Link: http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mawkish1983

Re: Do you want to Chat?

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I think regular chat sessions to discuss the dhamma would be brilliant (rather than unscheduled random discussions about the weather, as most chat rooms become). I'm available between 9am and 5pm GMT most of the time between mon-fri (unless I have any meetings or I'm skiving for a day). I think I would really benefit from in depth dhamma discussion :).

I'll check this thread regularly to see whether anything gets organised :)
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

I would love to chat with forum members.

I can might be online between 10:00 and 18:00 GMT, then from 22:00 to 00:00 GMT on week days.
With Metta
Placid-pool

Post by Placid-pool »

Turned up but nobody was there!
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Placid-pool wrote:Turned up but nobody was there!
I think that's why we need a schedule :)
Tex

Post by Tex »

I'll be available in the chat room for the next couple of hours if anyone wants to join...
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Hi. I'm here to chat if anyone feels like it...
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Hi, I'm available for a chat now! Seee you in the chat room.
Almaril

Post by Almaril »

Has anyone noticed any trends on when people online mostly? So far I thought people are quite active at this hour - it's 1:20 am here, Denmark - USA 4-6pm and so - but apparently not on wednesday nights... :smile:
ando

Post by ando »

I'm available if anyone wants to chat.
nchavo

Post by nchavo »

I got some questions. real quick and simple. can someone help?
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

I'm pretty much always available to chat online. Feel free to send me a PM with what chat client you use and I can give you my screen name on it as I am a pretty avid user of instant messages.
roky

Post by roky »

although i'm not that into chat, i was recently involved with an online zen group which used the new google+ for that purpose -- only a few folks used it for actual webcam chat, the rest of us used it to sit together -- just turn the webcam on, but turn off the mic, and do sitting meditation together -- its organized into "circles", and you can have i think up to 10 people together at once -- a nice thing is that it is integrated with google calendar, so its possible to schedule times together

kind of a virtual meditation hall, or meeting room -- a bit intense on bandwidth, though, so without dsl or cable, i'm not sure how it would work -- was flawless for the 3 months i used it, and very good quality video/sound

metta, roky
"no resistance"
Thaddeus Golas
Cilla

Post by Cilla »

I have had some experience with a successful chat room. I can give you a few tips to make this work and how to use it.

One give your chat room sounds.

Two when a user goes to the chat room and no one is there, they should keep the page open and open another page where they can do what they want while waiting for someone to come in to the chatroom. When someone new enters the chatroom, the background page chatroom of the waiting person will make a noise and let them know that someone has entered. Then that person can go back to the chatroom and say hi to the person who just came in and start chatting.

These sounds can indicate - someone entering the room; someone leaving the room; and someone posting a comment. They all should have different sounds so that someone who is hanging out on another page can know what is going on.

The only chatroom i have ever been in that is busy has this function. That said, i haven't been in many chatrooms.

Chatrooms can be fun but they are addictive and i rather wonder if they are not too much of a challenge for buddhists principles.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I'm a member of a club that has an irc channel. Most of the members login through a virtual machine they hired (not that expensive if linux) and are online 24/7. When they want to chat they login on their virtual (through ssh) and they have the complete history of what has been said. Works wonderfully. :ugeek:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.