A non buddhist book about meditation ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Adrien

A non buddhist book about meditation ?

Post by Adrien »

Hello !

I have a friend who have recently been afected by a cancer, he still takes pills, but the most part of the desease has gone away. The best part is that he took this experience has a great lesson about life that he wants to keep in mind for his whole life. Indeed, he told me that he's not seeking so much about money anymore, and that he's more aware about important things in life. A few month ago, he spoke with a good friend of him about what has to be done to have good relationships with other, and why most of the people don't do it. After this conversation, they both got interest in books about communication (including the how-to-seduce-a-girl type), personnal developpement, and body langage. Moreover, he is really trying to change himself with the help of these books (he read them seriously, takes note, learn some things by heart, etc.).
I feel like he is in a sort of "spiritual search", and I would like to give him an opportunity to know what meditation is. He knows that I'm a buddhist, and we have already spoke about it, but I'm clueless for showing him what it really is about. I don't have so much to say about it, except "you do this, you do that, and then you get benefits", and I remember that when I heard such kind of words about meditation (when I didn't know buddhism), that didn't really catch my interest either.

The point is that I would like to advice him on a book, but it has to be a non religion-connected one (cause he really don't like whatever is religious). I haven't read them, but I've already heard about "where you go you are" by Jon-Kabat Zinn, and "the power of now" by Eckhart Tolle. Does anybody have an idea ?
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to
retrofuturist

Re: A non buddhist book about meditation ?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Adrien,

This may serve as a useful secular-looking (or at least skeptic-compatible) introduction to the pursuit of mindfulness...

The Power of Mindfulness by Nyanaponika Thera
(An Inquiry into the Scope of Bare Attention and the Principal Sources of its Strength)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el121.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Adrien

Post by Adrien »

Thank you retro, but I see two things that make me think it will not work :

1) It's written by a buddhist monk (and we can easily recognize that his name sound like so...) -> that will refrain him because he will consider it as a "buddhist thing"
2) It's online -> he is now in a "books dynamic", and I think it would be best to stick with it
(and also, even if he reads some books in english, it would be a little better if the book has a french traduction)

I'm now thinking that it may be delicate for "where you go you are", because I think this book is medically oriented, and he might think I told him about it to help him with his desease (and I don't want to be intrusive in this domain).
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I haven't personally read the ones you mention, but they should be reasonable. For a very scientific approach, Kabat-Zinn should be good. There is also a popular book by Matthieu Richard (who is a Tibetan monk and used to be a research scientist) on meditation that is for non-Buddhists. I haven't read it either but a friend has read and liked it. I could suggest something by a serious Buddhist teacher written for a not-necessarily Buddhist audience, like :thinking: Thich Nhat Hanh's Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life (sorry!), Pema Chodron's Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living or The Places that Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times or even Ajahn Brahm's Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung? Really depends on what your friend is like.

_/|\_
_/|\_
Adrien

Post by Adrien »

Thank you for your responses. :smile: I really don't want to be ungratefull, but please be aware of the title of this subject "a non buddhist book about meditation ?". Maybe I'm wrong for asking that (maybe my friend would appreciate some of the books you've mentionned), but that's what I'm asking...

:anjali:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Here ya go:

Meditation and Relaxation in Plain English by Bob Sharples
Product Description

Meditation is supposed to help people cope with stresses encountered each and every day, but many books on the subject are so complex that they end up being stressors themselves. Meditation and Relaxation in Plain Englishavoids this pitfall, presenting techniques that focus on achieving calmness and clarity without a ton of confusing language. Written by a meditation instructor with years of experience, the prose is easy to follow and informed by the author's learned experitse. For anyone who has ever wanted to enjoy pain management, better health, and greater relaxation, Meditation and Relaxation in Plain Englishprovides potent tools that are easy to learn and easy to enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/086171 ... EXT857YRJH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by bodom on Sat May 22, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Have a look at Jon-Kabat Zinn's books. Haven't read them personally, but they are often recommended. Also check out his talk at Google.

I would recommend Ajahn Brahm's Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung?: Inspiring Stories for Welcoming Life's Difficulties.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
bodom

Post by bodom »

If Bob Sharples aint the least sounding Buddhist name I dont know what is. :tongue:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Adrien wrote:Thank you for your responses. :smile: I really don't want to be ungratefull, but please be aware of the title of this subject "a non buddhist book about meditation ?". Maybe I'm wrong for asking that (maybe my friend would appreciate some of the books you've mentionned), but that's what I'm asking...

Sorry! I hadn't realized your friend is likely t be sensitive. The books I suggested are popular among non-Buddhists and I thought that's enough. If there has to be no connection with Buddhism whatsoever, I wouldn't know what to suggest. But good luck anyway!

_/|\_
_/|\_
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Anything by Jon Kabbat-Zinn would be great, plus any number of great books on the topic of MBCT/MBSR.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Adrien wrote:
The point is that I would like to advice him on a book, but it has to be a non religion-connected one (cause he really don't like whatever is religious). I haven't read them, but I've already heard about "where you go you are" by Jon-Kabat Zinn, and "the power of now" by Eckhart Tolle. Does anybody have an idea ?
Tolle is a huckster. Zinn's books are very good and well grounded. FULL CATASTROPHE LIVING might be worth looking at and there are others.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
saltspring

Post by saltspring »

Usually Im in agreement with tiltbilings, but I disagree with him regarding Tolle. I have enjoyed his books and found them helpful in daily life. Yes he has made alot of money, but he is not a monk. But he does seem to annoy alot of Buddhists, Christopher Titmuss nearly blew a gasket in one of his essays speaking about the "Now". So maybe Im missing something. Anyway try him out yourself, and ask your friend to form hi own opinion.

Cheers
Chris
Adrien

Post by Adrien »

Thank you for all your responses. I think I'm going to go with a Jon-Kabat Zinn one.

Thanks again !
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

saltspring wrote:Usually Im in agreement with tiltbilings, but I disagree with him regarding Tolle. I have enjoyed his books and found them helpful in daily life. Yes he has made alot of money, but he is not a monk. But he does seem to annoy alot of Buddhists, Christopher Titmuss nearly blew a gasket in one of his essays speaking about the "Now". So maybe Im missing something. Anyway try him out yourself, and ask your friend to form hi own opinion.

Cheers
Chris
I like Tolle's writing too. It's not much help specifically on meditation, more of a general understanding of mindfulness.

I'd recommend Mindfulness in Plain English by Gunaratana. It's very straightforward and understandable and requires no specific religious orientation.