Papanca

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
PeterB

Papanca

Post by PeterB »

Perhaps a subforum of the Lounge could be created called " Managed And Contained Papanca " in recognition of what appears to be a genuine need. :smile: Or perhaps it already exists.
tiltbillings

Re: Papanca

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote:Perhaps a subforum of the Lounge could be created called " Managed And Contained Papanca " in recognition of what appears to be a genuine need. :smile: Or perhaps it already exists.
What be posted there?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Well I guess if it that subforum exists naming its content would defeat the purpose..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote:Well I guess if it that subforum exists naming its content would defeat the purpose..
When I helped moderate BeliefNet's Buddhist forum (years ago, before it changed and messed up it messaging systems and sold its soul to Fox Noise), I created a section called Avici Hell where all grossly off-topic (derailing) postings were consigned. Something such as that?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Yes good one. We must of course imagine an Avici Hell where everyone is temporarily content. We must imagine Sysiphus distracted.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

PeterB wrote:Perhaps a subforum of the Lounge could be created called " Managed And Contained Papanca " in recognition of what appears to be a genuine need. :smile: Or perhaps it already exists.

Might it not eventually be bursting at the seams, Peter ?

:rofl:
Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

I don't think this is a particularly good idea, as it would automatically foster interventionism, overmoderation, and censoring. This board appears to do quite well without it.

Cheers, Thomas
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Its a characteristic of papanca , Aloka that its expansive qualities are without limit...
Peter's Third Law of Papanca Dynamics states;
" When free to proliferate without constraint papanca will eventually fill the nearest universe ".

which of course should always be set against the Fourth Law ;

" When papanca expands to four times its volume the smell of the ordure of the male bovine will set in motion processes that will eventually end that particular expansion".
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

tiltbillings wrote:
PeterB wrote:Well I guess if it that subforum exists naming its content would defeat the purpose..
When I helped moderate BeliefNet's Buddhist forum (years ago, before it changed and messed up it messaging systems and sold its soul to Fox Noise), I created a section called Avici Hell where all grossly off-topic (derailing) postings were consigned. Something such as that?
I don't know if it was visible to non-Mods at E-Sangha, but all the posts which were deleted were put, temporarily of course, for nothing conditioned is permanent, in a special little Forum space called "The Bardo" (= intermediate existence). Of course, being Theravadins, such a name would have doctrinal issues. :tongue:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Paññāsikhara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
I don't know if it was visible to non-Mods at E-Sangha, but all the posts which were deleted were put, temporarily of course, for nothing conditioned is permanent, in a special little Forum space called "The Bardo" (= intermediate existence). Of course, being Theravadins, such a name would have doctrinal issues. :tongue:
To let out a wee secret we have the "Charnel Grounds" (borrowed from Termite's Websangha) for posts that have been removed from view.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Peter,
Check out what the Lounge was called on the prototype version of Dhamma Wheel...

http://lotuscafe.proboards.com/index.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Really ! thats amazing.. :smile:
Its like when I make up a song..it usually sounds suspiciously like something I have already heard..
Ben

Post by Ben »

PeterB wrote:Its a characteristic of papanca , Aloka that its expansive qualities are without limit...
Peter's Third Law of Papanca Dynamics states;
" When free to proliferate without constraint papanca will eventually fill the nearest universe ".
Funny. It reminds me of something Philip K Dick wrote about in Do andrioids dream of electric sheep. If you've seen the movie Bladerunner, and not read the book, its the weird asberger-like character who builds little android-like companions and plays chess with the CEO of the android company. This character, whose name escapes me because its been well over 30 years since I read it, had a pet theory about the self-replicating principle of crap. It was beautiful! Then years later and reading Ledi Sayadaw for the first time, I read about it all over again. Papancanaana was never so sweet.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

:lol:

It strikes me that this joke "suggestion" has itself expanded rather beyond the Suggestion Box..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

One might say it has proliferated....

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."