True Stories of Good Deeds

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
sukhamanveti

True Stories of Good Deeds

Post by sukhamanveti »

Hello.

I would like to suggest a subforum within General Dhamma dedicated to inspiring accounts of good deeds (involving generosity, compassion, truthfulness, nonharming, forbearance, lovingkindness, promoting harmony, helpful conduct or atthacariya, friendship, etc.) performed by real people, provided there is enough interest in this. I know that I would enjoy such a subforum.

If others are interested in this, then perhaps it could a great source of positive energy and motivation to action for members here. It could also illustrate and remind us of various Theravada virtues contained within traditional lists such as the Ten Paramis, Four Brahmaviharas, Four Sangaha Vatthuni (virtues promoting social harmony at AN 4.32/II.32), and the Dasa-kusala-kamma-patha ("Ten Paths of Skillful Action"), among others.

Thank you for your time.

Ed
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
retrofuturist

Re: True Stories of Good Deeds

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I think it would be excellent to have some topics along these lines but I don't think they necessitate their own sub-forum. In order to avoid 'forum sprawl', we try to avoid creating new forums unless they are required in order to set appropriate parameters for discussion. As it stands presently...

Personal stories of good deeds can go in the Personal Experience forum.

True stories of other Theravadin's good deeds can go in Theravada For The Modern World.

True stories of non Theravadin's good deeds can go in Lounge.

Fictional stories of other people's good deeds can go in Dhammic Stories.

Anything of a particularly devotional nature can go in the Shrine Room.

As you can see, there's no shortage of places whereby these things could be discussed presently.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."