Which english translation of the Visuddhimagga?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
tilakkhana

Which english translation of the Visuddhimagga?

Post by tilakkhana »

I have found so far two english translations, an older one from the Pali Text Society and a more modern one by Bhikkhu Nanamoli.

I took a look at the Nanamoli one and I'm a bit worried that the language is so modern, it loses some of the technicalities of language that appear to be present in the older PTS translation.

Any thoughts?

Metta,

Zac
Reductor

Re: Which english translation of the Visuddhimagga?

Post by Reductor »

tilakkhana wrote:I have found so far two english translations, an older one from the Pali Text Society and a more modern one by Bhikkhu Nanamoli.

I took a look at the Nanamoli one and I'm a bit worried that the language is so modern, it loses some of the technicalities of language that appear to be present in the older PTS translation.

Any thoughts?

Metta,

Zac
Archaic language does not a better translation make.

If you want to be sure of what the Vism actually says, you'll have to read Pali. But Nanamoli's translation seems to be lucid and usable, and the language is modern, which is it strongest point.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Path of Purification Translation by Bhikkhu Nanamoli

This 1956 translation by the British-born monk, Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli that in itself is considered an outstanding achievement of Pāli scholarship of the 20th century. - Pariyatti

The present translation ranks as an outstanding cultural achievement perhaps unmatched by Pali Buddhist scholarship in the modern era. - Wisdom-Books

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bhikkhu Nanamoli was a very highly regarded scholar and translator.
His translation is also very highly regarded.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Zac,
tilakkhana wrote: I took a look at the Nanamoli one and I'm a bit worried that the language is so modern, it loses some of the technicalities of language that appear to be present in the older PTS translation.
I've looked at the first volume of the PTS version online: http://www.archive.org/details/pathofpu ... 01budduoft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and I would find it difficult to work with. The Nanamoli version generally uses the same English words for Pali terms as the Nanamoli/Bodhi and Bodhi translations of the MN and SN, has much better notes, and is written in more comprehensible language. The fact that it's a translation by a trained monk who presumably had the benefit of the experience of the established Western monks in Sri Lanka (Nyanatiloka, Nyanaponika, etc) is also an advantage.

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

mikenz66 wrote: The fact that it's a translation by a trained monk who presumably had the benefit of the experience of the established Western monks in Sri Lanka (Nyanatiloka, Nyanaponika, etc) is also an advantage.
Furthermore, scanning a few of my books, I see that Ven Nyanatiloka published a German translation (he was originally from Germany) of the Visuddhimagga, and Ven Nanamoli (who was English) acknowledges that he read the first two chapters of the English translation, but was not well enough to read the rest. Ven Nanamoli presumably benefitted from the previous work.

As an aside, I see that Ven Nyanatiloka also translated the Dhammapada, Abhidhammattha Sangaha, and the Anguttara Nikaya into German, as well as translating a number of suttas into English for "The Word of the Buddha".

Bhikkhu Bodhi, of course, is one the current successors to this group of western monks living in Sri Lanka (though he recently moved back to the USA).

The point is that this Western-Sri Lankan school has been responsible for the most modern translations of the MN, SN, Visuddhimagga, Abhidhammattha Sangaha, and, when Bhikkhu Bodhi's work is finished, the AN. If you go to the PTS website you'll note that they list those MN and SN translations along with the older translations from the early 20th C. We have the MN translation at our Wat, and it's inscribed as PTS/Wisdom. I presume they see no point in commissioning other translations of those while there are other texts unavailable in English.

Mike