Exercise as meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Tex

Exercise as meditation?

Post by Tex »

I guess it stands to reason that if we can meditate when we walk, we can meditate when we run.

I was at the gym tonight, and while riding the stationary bike it occurred to me that I hadn't really had a conscious "thought" for a long time; I'd only been paying attention to my breathing, cardio, pace, and the feeling in my legs, ankles, and feet, and adjusting accordingly. I was doing absolutely nothing other than riding the bike, I couldn't even recall which annoying MTV song had been playing way-too-loudly in the gym. Perhaps I was just over-tired, but it felt like meditating (even though I didn't try to meditate).

Does that make sense at all?

Anyway, do any of you incorporate weight lifting or cardio into your meditation practice? I'd be curious to hear experiences, advice, etc, thanks...
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
mikenz66

Re: Exercise as meditation?

Post by mikenz66 »

There's no reason why you can't make every activity a mindfulness practise: washing dishes, sweeping, running, swimming... In fact, that's the idea, I think.

Mike
Placid-pool

Re: Exercise as meditation?

Post by Placid-pool »

Rock on Mike! I use crochet or knitting as a meditation aid ...... when it is a pattern you don't have to think about it frees the mind beautifully.