I just found out were getting laid off in two months

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

Re: I just found out were getting laid off in two months

Post by bodom »

Placid-pool wrote:Ah no - heck - I got called into the boss's office two weeks before Christmas and told that the business was closing down, we could continue with another employer but we had to go self-employed (with all the risks that involves) and we had only a week to decide ... and find out all the info we needed to do this enormous step.

I can feel for you my friend and I wasn't supporting a pregnant partner ...in the end MY partner ended up sneaking in on my coat tails and working with the new employer who didn't know that he didn't work with me before ... gets like a comedy series but that is my life. :jumping:

I hope you both find mutual support and laugh together because this is the kind of thing that shows the strengths and weaknesses of a partnership - wishing you lots of laughs ... if you can laugh at a situation it is much less scary ... OK, give you a jumping off point - tell your partner that if things get really bad, you can go and live in a caravan, in a barn, in a tiny village in France because PP will put us up, and make cake - that should make you laugh!
Hmm i always did wanna visit france. We might just take you up on your offer! Hahah. You'll be getting a knock on your front door at 2am and ill be like hey its me Bodom Bad Boy! Haha. Were looking forward to your cake! :rofl:

:namaste:
Last edited by bodom on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i'm sorry
may you have the best of luck and this be a door thats opened for you, not one thats closing
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:i'm sorry
may you have the best of luck and this be a door thats opened for you, not one thats closing
I sure hope so! Im sitting at my desk watching people coming out of the Human Resources department with there walking papers. Its crazy. Its a sign of the times. I might have a job opportunity at the sister compay across the street though so we'll see what happens!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ouch! I know what you are saying. These are terrible times indeed. I own a business and the income, cash flows are way down already. In my opinion, it is all Bushism. Spending all that money on that Iraq War when there is no money to pay for it. I even added a page to a political website of mine to follow the anatomy of the current economic crisis:

http://antiwarrepublicans.com/costofwar.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:soap:
Placid-pool

Post by Placid-pool »

You wouldn't be the first ones to pole up on our doorstep needing housing ... the last one stayed 18 months and we sorted him out, got him back on his feet and sent him home again ... a few pounds heavier because of the home cooking but happier and more stable.

Nobody is ever out on their ear while I have a caravan.
Jason

Post by Jason »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Sad but true. This job was the only job i have ever had where i actually looked forward to coming to work. Atleast we got a two month notice. My girls 5 months pregnant and now we both have start all over as she works here too. Its a pretty scary time.

I hear you. Two weeks ago, my company restricted everyone to 32 hours a week. Last week, they announced that are going to start letting people go this week. Seeing as how I have Mondays off, I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out what has happened. Thus far, I think that I am safe; but if business does not pick up soon, it is only a matter if time.
Last edited by Jason on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

TheDhamma wrote:Ouch! I know what you are saying. These are terrible times indeed. I own a business and the income, cash flows are way down already.
Yes, terrible times.

I own a business as well, and had no income at all in January.

I hope I survive this crisis.

Good luck to you and Bad bodom boy.
Tex

Post by Tex »

I feel for you BBB, my employment status in the coming months is very much in doubt.

I hope everything works out for you.

(Maybe if I get laid off we should start up a Buddhist commune -- Texas Theravadin Trailer Park?)
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings BBB,
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Atleast we got a two month notice.
Yes, at least you've got opportunities to apply for other work, even if the economy isn't great.

Wishing you and your family all the best on your trails through samsara.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Post by zavk »

Oh no.... best wishes to you.

Metta,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
Element

Post by Element »

BBB

Bad economic times. I hope you find work. I hope you have family & friends who can help you if required.

Be careful of pride. We are born in a world in which vicissitudes are the norm. It is like we are a guest in a world where vicissitudes is its nature.

With metta

E
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Been there...done it...it sucks...but it passes. The important thing to remember is that "it passes". Good luck...
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Tex wrote:I feel for you BBB, my employment status in the coming months is very much in doubt.

I hope everything works out for you.

(Maybe if I get laid off we should start up a Buddhist commune -- Texas Theravadin Trailer Park?)
Haha that would awesome! Lets do it! :rofl:

But seriously thanks for the well wishes. Things will work out. They always seem to do in a crazy way.

- BB
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

It's a crummy thing to happen, especially with parenthood coming at you fast, but I hope there will be new and better opportunities down the road. For whatever it's worth, my advice would be to focus on not letting the stress get the better of your relationship... you and your gal are both naturally going to be upset and worried (having a new baby is a high anxiety time even under good economic circumstances), so remind yourself to take a deep breath when you feel overwhelmed. It's all anicca, anatta, dukkha. Of course, you know this already!

bodom

Post by bodom »

Lazy_eye wrote:It's all anicca, anatta, dukkha. Of course, you know this already!

Believe me it never hurts too hear it too many times. Thanks.

- BB