The pain in sitting.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Samsara

The pain in sitting.

Post by Samsara »

Anyone know the average time it takes for the back to not HURT LIKE HELL everytime i sit up straight for more than 15min??
"Nothing is more important than guarding the mind. Let us constantly keep watch over it, curbing it with mindfulness and vigilance."-Dalai Lama

Please feel free to correct my grammar!
Prasadachitta

Re: The pain in sitting.

Post by Prasadachitta »

I recommend doing Hatha Yoga or a similar physical practice to prepare the body for meditation. I have found yoga immensely helpful for creating a comfortable meditation posture.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Wind

Post by Wind »

Growing up as a westerner, we are not used to sitting without back support. So it will take time to allow our bodies to adjust to a comfortable posture. If you are experiencing extreme pain, then readjust again and find that balance where there is not much strain. Sometimes I would lean my back against a wall or a tree for support. The posture isn't as important as there are four main postures for meditation: Sitting, Standing, Laying down, and Walking. So the most important thing in meditation is what you do with your mind.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello samsara, all,

Browse through this page plus all the topics listed in the Left Hand column.

The importance of meditation posture - The first thing to learn in meditation is how to sit effectively.
http://www.wildmind.org/posture/intro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

Samsara wrote:... everytime i sit up straight for more than 15min??
That's probably part of the problem. The back should be upright, maintaining it's natural curves as opposed to straight. If at all possible, I suggest getting with an experienced meditator and having them instruct you in the proper position. At first, the proper position can seem a bit awkward, like one is leaning backward, but it really helps to prevent muscle strain and promote alertness.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Wind wrote:Growing up as a westerner, we are not used to sitting without back support. So it will take time to allow our bodies to adjust to a comfortable posture. If you are experiencing extreme pain, then readjust again and find that balance where there is not much strain. Sometimes I would lean my back against a wall or a tree for support. The posture isn't as important as there are four main postures for meditation: Sitting, Standing, Laying down, and Walking. So the most important thing in meditation is what you do with your mind.
:thumbsup:
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Excellent info and links, thanks people.

Its got surprisingly better in the few times i have sat for more than 20min in the past week, its still uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt to the point of shaking (which is always good) Ive started to lean back slightly and support my hands higher up on my lap and its much better :) Although i have no idea how people get their feet to sit flat against their thighs, mine just do not bend that way :|
"Nothing is more important than guarding the mind. Let us constantly keep watch over it, curbing it with mindfulness and vigilance."-Dalai Lama

Please feel free to correct my grammar!