Full Theravada

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
retrofuturist

Re: Full Theravada

Post by retrofuturist »

Nice summary, bhante.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Goofaholix,
Goofaholix wrote: I don't know if I meant specific rituals. I think if you spend a bit of time in Thailand you'll know what I mean, the plastic gold and glitter, money trees, endless chanting over a loudspeaker, buying and selling of good luck charms, dana fervour etc, gets to you after a while.
Yes, that stuff can be annoying, but I would not put devotional chanting (such as the morning and evening chants), taking refuges and precepts, giving alms to monks, and so on, in the same category. I find those things very helpful and inspiring.
Goofaholix wrote: Of course the best elements of ritual can be incorporated into a practice environment, Ajahn Chah was quite skilful at that and giving us westerners learning opportunities as a result.
Quite.

Mike
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Maitri wrote:I agree some of the things you mentioned aren't appealing to me either. Just cultural preferences and aesthetics, I suppose. When I go temples that have neon or flashing lights behind the Buddha's head, I raise an eyebrow. :lol:
Yes, it's hard to imagine why someone would think flashing neon lights behind a Buddha image was a good thing to have.
mikenz66 wrote:Yes, that stuff can be annoying, but I would not put devotional chanting (such as the morning and evening chants), taking refuges and precepts, giving alms to monks, and so on, in the same category. I find those things very helpful and inspiring.
It certainly can be helpful and inspiring, but I don't think it's really necessary.

While Ajahn Chah made a lot of use of bowing, chanting, observance days etc teachers like Ajahn Buddhadasa and Luangta Maha Boowa didn't at all.

The monastery I ordained in was a branch monastery of Luangta Maha Boowa, in the 3 months I was there the only ritual I saw was the patimokkha chanting, chanting before the meal, and the formula monks had to perform when receiving requisites. The main shrine was very simple and there was very little religious paraphenalia around the monastery.

In a country steeped in superstition I think that's significant, I think they would be surprised to learn they weren't "Full Theravada".
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
general0bvious

Post by general0bvious »

Mukunda wrote: At one time, I was very anti ceremony and ritual and thought just sitting in meditation was enough. But a friend convinced me to chant a couple of things prior to meditating, and it made such a huge difference in my practice, I expanded on it. Each time I sit to meditate, the ritual and chanting serve to remind me of what it is I am trying to accomplish, and reinforce the Buddha's teachings in my mind. Today I realize that being anti-ritual is as big a mistake as being attached to ritual. The rituals are nothing more than a useful tool, one I am grateful to have at my disposal.
I've noticed that too. I usually just take refuge in the three jewels and recite the five precepts, before I meditate, but it strengthens my resolve a bit. I want to expand it, since I feel that it could make a huge impact on my practice. A useful tool indeed :)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

general0bvious wrote:
Mukunda wrote: At one time, I was very anti ceremony and ritual and thought just sitting in meditation was enough. But a friend convinced me to chant a couple of things prior to meditating, and it made such a huge difference in my practice, I expanded on it. Each time I sit to meditate, the ritual and chanting serve to remind me of what it is I am trying to accomplish, and reinforce the Buddha's teachings in my mind. Today I realize that being anti-ritual is as big a mistake as being attached to ritual. The rituals are nothing more than a useful tool, one I am grateful to have at my disposal.
I've noticed that too. I usually just take refuge in the three jewels and recite the five precepts, before I meditate, but it strengthens my resolve a bit. I want to expand it, since I feel that it could make a huge impact on my practice. A useful tool indeed :)
It can be quite a stretch to go straight from daily busy-ness into meditation, and these kinds of activities make the transition easier.
Routine of any kind tends to make it easier, too, whether it's a matter of meditating at a set time of day, or doing a few yoga or qi gong moves before sitting (there was a thread on this a while ago), or just lighting a stick of incense.
:namaste:
Kim