Dalai Lama's opinion of Vissudhimagga

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tiltbillings

Re: Dalai Lama's opinion of Vissudhimagga

Post by tiltbillings »

Sönam wrote:
ok, so I apologize for not being "immediate" with english !
That is nothing you need to apologize for. My only point is that it sometime easy to misunderstand what is being said.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Veering slightly off the immediate topic ... which translation of the Vsm do you folks like?
Thanks,

Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Kim
I think you will find most people will have the Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli translation published either by BPS or Pariyatti.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli was a gentleman and a scholar. ;)
Last edited by BlackBird on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

As Ben says, the Nanamoli translation from BPS is probably the realistic choice.
http://www.bps.lk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aparrently they are working on a re-typesetting, which will also result in a free PDF. See the post here by Bhikkhu Nyanatusita:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... =20#p32156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as I know, the only other option in English is the ancient PTS translation:
http://www.palitext.com/palitext/tran.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Path of Purity,
tr. Pe Maung Tin, 3 volumes, 1923, 1929, 1931, reprinted as one
volume 1975
ISBN 008 8 £45.30 « Add to Basket »
One of the most influential Pāli texts, this compendium of Buddhist doctrine and metaphysics is the most important book written by Buddhaghosa. It provides a systematic exposition of Buddhist teaching and is also a detailed manual for meditation. (5th century C.E.)
Translation of Visuddhimagga.

Metta
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

BlackBird wrote:Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli was a gentleman and a scholar. ;)
Indeed! As was Bhadantacariya Buddhaghosa.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Thanks, folks.
I'll put it on my wish list. :smile:

Kim
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Ben wrote:
BlackBird wrote:Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli was a gentleman and a scholar. ;)
Indeed! As was Bhadantacariya Buddhaghosa.
Very true, we're a fortunate lot to have met all this. I think we might just owe a good deal of gratitude to these Bhantes.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

bodom wrote:I would venture to say the visuddhimagga is a little intimidating and baffling to most at first. I know it was for me when I first picked it up. It is basically the entire tipitaka condensed between two covers. There is alot to take in and digest.

:anjali:
It's not as bad as it looks. any big book can be intimidating. But it is well worth the read.

Kevin
d.sullivan

Post by d.sullivan »

tiltbillings wrote:
Here is Wallace's broadside against vipassana practice: http://www.tricycle.com/a-mindful-balance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not impressed.
I want to discuss this article further, but don't want to go off topic. So, I'm starting a new thread here:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Every blade in the field,
Every leaf in the forest,
Lays down its life in its season,
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.