Anapanasati

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
widfola

Anapanasati

Post by widfola »

Can anybody shed light on this :- Is there any definitive meaning for Anapanasati. Is it mindfulness OF breathing or is it mindfulness WITH breathing.

Thanks
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Anapanasati

Post by DNS »

I have always seen it as OF breathing.

anapanasati [aanaapaanasati]: Mindfulness of breathing. A meditation practice in which one maintains one's attention and mindfulness on the sensations of breathing.
widfola

Post by widfola »

David N. Snyder wrote:I have always seen it as OF breathing.

anapanasati [aanaapaanasati]: Mindfulness of breathing. A meditation practice in which one maintains one's attention and mindfulness on the sensations of breathing.
Is there a specific etymology of the word anapanasati, that would clarify if it is WITH or OF?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

widfola wrote: Is there a specific etymology of the word anapanasati, that would clarify if it is WITH or OF?
This may not help much, but this is from: Maha Thera Nyanatiloka. Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, Buddhist Publication Society, first edition 1952.

Ānāpāna-sati: Awareness or mindfulness on & by in-and-out-breathing, is one of the most important trainings for reaching mental concentration and the 4 absorptions jhāna. In the Satipatthāna Sutta M. 10, D. 22 and elsewhere, 4 methods of practice are given, which may also serve as basis for insight meditation. The speech on Awareness by Breathing' Ānāpānasati Sutta, M. 118 and other texts have 16 methods of practice, which divide into 4 groups of four. The first three apply to both calm samatha and insight-meditation, while the fourth refers to pure insight praxis only. With attentive mind he breathes in, with attentive mind he breathes out.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

widfola wrote: Is there a specific etymology of the word anapanasati, that would clarify if it is WITH or OF?
Anapana = breathing
Sati = mindfulness

I think 'saha' would have to be in the compound for it to be 'with' but I'm still in the learning stage of Pali.
widfola

Post by widfola »

David N. Snyder wrote:
This may not help much, but this is from: Maha Thera Nyanatiloka. Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, Buddhist Publication Society, first edition 1952.

Ānāpāna-sati: Awareness or mindfulness on & by in-and-out-breathing, is one of the most important trainings for reaching mental concentration and the 4 absorptions jhāna. In the Satipatthāna Sutta M. 10, D. 22 and elsewhere, 4 methods of practice are given, which may also serve as basis for insight meditation. The speech on Awareness by Breathing' Ānāpānasati Sutta, M. 118 and other texts have 16 methods of practice, which divide into 4 groups of four. The first three apply to both calm samatha and insight-meditation, while the fourth refers to pure insight praxis only. With attentive mind he breathes in, with attentive mind he breathes out.

Thanks. The last line could be took either way.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I think thats its OF breathing Wildfola.
We awaken and hone mindfulness by focusing on the breath.
Mindfulness doesnt simply arise with the breath or prior to the breath.
It takes effort.
Last edited by PeterB on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

It is mindfulness of breathing in and out.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Breathing in and out is the sign of not being dead.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Peter,
PeterB wrote:Breathing in and out is the sign of not being dead.
Hence the first precept:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... #precepts5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pāṇātipātā (veramaṇī sikkhā-padaṃ samādiyāmi).
(I undertake the training rule to refrain from )taking life.
"Breathing-beings-killing (I undertake the training rule to refrain from ).

[My Pali is too rudimentary to attempt to unpack the "refrain from" phrase, but the thing to refrain from is always at the start of each phrase...]

I mention this, because I was at a discussion about the precepts led by a lay person a few months ago and I remarked that the first precept is literally about not killing breathing beings, and the meaning was related to Ānāpānasati. This seemed to startle her, for some reason that I couldn't quite work out...

Metta
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

In other words, if we are meditating, we are probably alive and therefore breathing is a given?

If that is the point, then it would also give credence to it being OF breathing.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

That could be a very interesting thread!
mikenz66 wrote:Hi Peter,
Hence the first precept:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... #precepts5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pāṇātipātā (veramaṇī sikkhā-padaṃ samādiyāmi).
(I undertake the training rule to refrain from )taking life.
"Breathing-beings-killing (I undertake the training rule to refrain from ).

[My Pali is too rudimentary to attempt to unpack the "refrain from" phrase, but the thing to refrain from is always at the start of each phrase...]

I mention this, because I was at a discussion about the precepts led by a lay person a few months ago and I remarked that the first precept is literally about not killing breathing beings, and the meaning was related to Ānāpānasati. This seemed to startle her, for some reason that I couldn't quite work out...

Metta
Mike
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Ana - in breath
Pana - out breath
Sati - mindfulness

Mindfulness of breathing in and out.
Mindfulness is recollection or memory. It is possible to be aware of the breathing but it is not possible to remember or recollect the breathing because it is only possible to remember mental phenomena.
It might be helpful to remember that while sati in pali had the Pre-Buddhist meaning of "remembering", It very rarely appears in this context within the Tipitaka. Often the Buddha would take a word or concept within the language and society of the time and put a new spin on it (Gombrich ). I have a vague recollection of Ven. Nyanponika Thera saying something about this in 'The Heart of Buddhist meditation' with regards to sati, I'll have a hunt.

metta
Jack
Last edited by BlackBird on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

sanskrit 'prana' means life. However in this case 'ana' 'pana' means 'in' 'out' as far as I am aware. So it literally means 'mindfulness of in and out breathing'. If you want to be mindful of other things there is the world to pick from in the satipatthana sutta. However if you look at the instructions in the anapanasati sutta it seems to suggest WITH as much as OF. (with mind, with joy, with etc etc)
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

rowyourboat wrote:sanskrit 'prana' means life. However in this case 'ana' 'pana' means 'in' 'out' as far as I am aware. So it literally means 'mindfulness of in and out breathing'. If you want to be mindful of other things there is the world to pick from in the satipatthana sutta. However if you look at the instructions in the anapanasati sutta it seems to suggest WITH as much as OF. (with mind, with joy, with etc etc)
Hi RYB
Would you mind to elaborate, particularly the underlined part you placed in brackets.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill