Really *Excellent* Dhamma Talks Online?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
christopher:::

Really *Excellent* Dhamma Talks Online?

Post by christopher::: »

Since last summer i've listened to a lot of excellent dhamma talks available online. It's great to hear directly from teachers that way, especially for those of us lacking real-life contact. Most talks have been good, but some have been especially helpful and insightful (see below). What are some of your favorite dhamma talks, that you would recommend?

Buddha's Song Of Enlightenment: Achieved Is The End Of Craving

Thanissaro Bhikkhu: Freedom from Buddha Nature

Ajahn Sucitto: The Ground Of Relative Emptiness

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Guy

Re: Really *Excellent* Dhamma Talks Online?

Post by Guy »

Hi Christopher,

Here's a few:

A talk about mental development by Ajahn Brahmali (audio quality isn't the best, but the Dhamma quality is top notch)

A series of lectures by Bhikkhu Bodhi

Lots of talks by Ajahn Brahm

A long series of Q&A by Ajahn Jayasaro

Many talks by Ajahn Sumedho and other Ajahns

I might add some more later but it should take you a while to get through all of these.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Tucked away under the general umbrella of talks by Ajahn Sumedho is an excellent talk by Ajahn Munindo called " The Insulting Truth".
Well worth a listen.
Clayton

Post by Clayton »

The Insulting truth is a good one... here is the complete list of talks by Ajahn Munindo http://aruno.org//index.php?option=com_ ... 3&Itemid=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Under dhamma Talks vol 2 you can find one titled Prayerful Practice. As a former christian it was invaluable to see how another former christian approached prayer from a Buddhist perspective... All talks by him I have heard are solid...
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Thanks for jumping in with your recommendations! We take off for the States tomorrow morning, 13 hour flight. I just added The Insulting Truth to the dhamma voices gathered my iPod. Will check out some of the others upon arrival.

Domo arigatooo!!

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
alan

Post by alan »

Yes, thanks. I love good dhamma talks.
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

I had a great time listening to Bhante Sujato's discussions of the first 2/3 of the Majjhima Nikaya here; listening to these after reading the appropriate Sutta for myself felt like a graduate-level university course. There are also some other talks worth having a listen to, of various lengths.

On a related note, here are some really decent chanting recordings.
drewser

Post by drewser »

http://www.audiodharma.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adrien

Post by Adrien »

I really, really liked "What is Buddhism" by Bhante Vimalaramsi. I almost decided to not listen to it, considering the fact that I have read many thing which introduce buddhism, but I'm glad I eventually did. He is very clear in his explanations about how your mind tricks you every day.
http://dhammasukha.org/Study/Talks/audi ... 101125.mp3

And for the ones who understand french, this is one of the best talk about anatta I've heard (not that I've heard many, though) :
http://www.vimalakirti.org/IMG/mp3_01_a ... _moi_2.mp3

nb : a topic like that can be very interesting if people posted only specific talks they particularly liked (instead of posting links where we can find a lot of talks).
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to