Intro to 'Wings...'

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
christopher:::

Re: Intro to 'Wings...'

Post by christopher::: »

retrofuturist wrote:
Yes, the Dhamma certainly is timeless.

The Buddha is cool. 8-)

I've never really understood the compulsion to twist and tweak the Dhamma to accommodate regional ignorances, superstitions and prejudices (and I'm talking equally here about the so-called "West" as I am the so-called "East"). The Dhamma points directly to the proximite causes of suffering and these remain unchanged. If the illness is the same, the cure remains the same.
I agree, Retro. In many cases i think it's simply ignorance, a lack of understanding, depth of experience and practice, perhaps. Passing the Dhamma on as it has been taught in your school or by your teachers, rather then taking some initiative and investigating further.

Sometimes a mistaken emphasis occurs, such as a former forum we once belonged to where there seemed to be an over-emphasis made on certain teachings (karma, rebirth, dependent origination) rather then on the Dharma as a whole, as an interconnected package...

Perhaps?
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

LP Buddhadasa said in teaching the dhamma we should be both conservative and radical. conservative in that we don't stray from or change the dhamma, radical in the methods we use to get new listeners, cultures to learn it, understand it.

p.s. i like ajahn thanissaro, the more i study the more i feel at home in the thai forest tradition.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

David N. Snyder wrote: That is a good point about this list representing the most important teachings. In several threads here and in other forums, people often ask "what are the most essential teachings?" or "what are the most important Suttas?" And here we have the Buddha's own favorite list in the 37 factors of enlightenment.
It turns up in an important list of the beliefs unifying Theravada and Mahayana, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Poin ... e_Mahayana

:namaste:
Kim
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
It turns up in an important list of the beliefs unifying Theravada and Mahayana, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Poin ... e_Mahayana
Thanks for that, Kim.

:thumbsup:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009