Hello everyone!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
drkejoma

Hello everyone!

Post by drkejoma »

Hello! I just now found out about Dhamma Wheel, and since there really aren't any Buddhist centers in my area, I'm excited to find an online community where I can learn more about Buddhism and, hopefully, find guidance for my own practice.

I grew up in the Christian church, and while Christianity taught me a great deal, I realized in my 40s that I no longer believed in a deity, let alone the more specific assumptions of religious faiths.

Consequently, I find myself most drawn to the practice elements of Buddhism, and less so to doctrine and supernatural elements (like reincarnation). That said, my mind is open, but it's practice that I'm keen to learn and...well, practice, most of all.
Ceisiwr

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by Ceisiwr »

Welcome :hello:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Hello my friend. Welcome.
Have a good stay. ;)
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

drkejoma wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:53 pm Hello! I just now found out about Dhamma Wheel, and since there really aren't any Buddhist centers in my area, I'm excited to find an online community where I can learn more about Buddhism and, hopefully, find guidance for my own practice.

I grew up in the Christian church, and while Christianity taught me a great deal, I realized in my 40s that I no longer believed in a deity, let alone the more specific assumptions of religious faiths.

Consequently, I find myself most drawn to the practice elements of Buddhism, and less so to doctrine and supernatural elements (like reincarnation). That said, my mind is open, but it's practice that I'm keen to learn and...well, practice, most of all.
metta to you,
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!