On Your Way Home - A Road to Nirvana for the West

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Spiny Norman

Re: On Your Way Home - A Road to Nirvana for the West

Post by Spiny Norman »

Coëmgenu wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:31 pm
Does your hand have nerve damage?

"There are two arrows....."
Indeed. Bodily pain v. mental anguish.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Pondera wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:10 am
Very well done. This is an Abhidhamma work. And your skill in defining the nidayas is excellent.

I see no reason why you should not profit off of this work. It is an excellent break down of Buddhist concepts. I think your illustration of the old/young woman is excellent!!! And it shows your insight.
_/|\_
The owner of Amazon has donated 10 BILLION DOLLARS to the fight against climate change. I don’t think you, PeterC86, should have any reason not to make a profit off of your insights.
I don't know the reasons why he did that, but his company doesn't seem to help in preventing pollution or creating humane working conditions. It could be, that this donation was only made to make him look good, so that it would beam over to his company. Who knows.. Where there is profit, there is loss.
It is an amazing work and there is one grammatical error which I noticed in the later sections of the work. But it would take a fine toothed comb to notice it.
_/|\_ Are you willing to point it out to me? If you can remember where it is.
I am only here to guide others who are searching for Nibbana.

Pondera

Post by Pondera »

PeterC86 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:19 pm
Pondera wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:10 am
Very well done. This is an Abhidhamma work. And your skill in defining the nidayas is excellent.

I see no reason why you should not profit off of this work. It is an excellent break down of Buddhist concepts. I think your illustration of the old/young woman is excellent!!! And it shows your insight.
_/|\_
The owner of Amazon has donated 10 BILLION DOLLARS to the fight against climate change. I don’t think you, PeterC86, should have any reason not to make a profit off of your insights.
I don't know the reasons why he did that, but his company doesn't seem to help in preventing pollution or creating humane working conditions. It could be, that this donation was only made to make him look good, so that it would beam over to his company. Who knows.. Where there is profit, there is loss.
It is an amazing work and there is one grammatical error which I noticed in the later sections of the work. But it would take a fine toothed comb to notice it.
_/|\_ Are you willing to point it out to me? If you can remember where it is.
I’m certainly willing to, but I don’t think I can recall
SteRo speaks as though he is pretending to give a lecture on General Relativity in Latin to an audience who speaks Japanese.

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

PeterC86 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 pm

I'd like to share this manual with you guys, so that it may serve to help people on the path and maybe someone will offer feedback on how to improve the manual or to fix errors. I am not doing this for any personal gain. The website I refer to has no advertisements, banners, malware, etc.. I am also not interested to gain a following, as the website only contains texts. There is no forum on the website and my name is not visible anywhere. My only purpose is to share knowledge in order to help people on the path.
Thanks in advance for your responses. Sharing is caring.
Thanks for your sincere efforts to formulate the teachings in your understanding. I liked the manual and found nothing being unclear or out of touch with the essence of Buddha's teachings, as I have understood them. But I could suggest that the concept of "time" and "timelessness" would be a suitable add on, and maybe also mention in the beginning that there are no attainments in the liberation. I do think a lot of people believe in something special will happen, and this makes them keep on going out of their minds seeking for the missing parts that will make themselves feeling whole "again".

Best regards :anjali:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Crazy cloud wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:43 am
PeterC86 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 pm

I'd like to share this manual with you guys, so that it may serve to help people on the path and maybe someone will offer feedback on how to improve the manual or to fix errors. I am not doing this for any personal gain. The website I refer to has no advertisements, banners, malware, etc.. I am also not interested to gain a following, as the website only contains texts. There is no forum on the website and my name is not visible anywhere. My only purpose is to share knowledge in order to help people on the path.
Thanks in advance for your responses. Sharing is caring.
Thanks for your sincere efforts to formulate the teachings in your understanding. I liked the manual and found nothing being unclear or out of touch with the essence of Buddha's teachings, as I have understood them. But I could suggest that the concept of "time" and "timelessness" would be a suitable add on,
Hello Crazy cloud,

Thank you for your response!

How do you think his would be a good add on? In what way? Is time in relation to space, or in relation to timelessness? What is space without time? Or what is time without space?
and maybe also mention in the beginning that there are no attainments in the liberation. I do think a lot of people believe in something special will happen, and this makes them keep on going out of their minds seeking for the missing parts that will make themselves feeling whole "again".

Best regards :anjali:
I see your point! I will contemplate on how to explain this, and will integrate it when I come back from my travels.

Thanks again!

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

PeterC86 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 am
How do you think his would be a good add on? In what way? Is time in relation to space, or in relation to timelessness? What is space without time? Or what is time without space?
The first reading was from pages 18 and to the end. I experienced that my mind became quiet and introverted, and ready for meditation. I think this effect is interesting because there was actually nothing new to read, just another perspective to different aspects of our reality, and I could easily have ended up with "been there done that". The next day I read through the whole manual and experienced that the mind landed on the same spot, - ready for introspection. When I contemplated this I tried to put myself in the position of someone who was new to these teachings, and I believe that the effects would be quite surprising, and lead to interest for more, and that might push the mind closer to a direct experience of Dhamma. The manual naturally leads the mind to stillness, I believe.

Personally I find our beliefs and concepts of time to be a hindrance for experience timelessness. The hindrance is often like; I am an unenlightened person who sits down, meditating to become enlightened ... And starting from this point often leads one further into doubting and seeking confirmations outside one's own core being, which is the deathless consciousness.

One has to understand that time is a concept born out of thinking, and seen from awareness, time is not linear, but it looks like series of present moments stacked on top of each other on a dimensionless consciousness called Now. Like in the Bahia Sutta, where the essence is: You won't find yourself inside, outside, or in-between.
And this awareness is not something one has to go looking for, it's something one just leans back into - not going out, and not going in, just dissolve into whenever one remembers the difference between activities of the mind and emptiness of the knowing mind.

If this makes sense to you is fine, and if not, it's fine too.
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Crazy cloud wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:01 am
PeterC86 wrote:
The first reading was from pages 18 and to the end. I experienced that my mind became quiet and introverted, and ready for meditation. I think this effect is interesting because there was actually nothing new to read, just another perspective to different aspects of our reality, and I could easily have ended up with "been there done that". The next day I read through the whole manual and experienced that the mind landed on the same spot, - ready for introspection. When I contemplated this I tried to put myself in the position of someone who was new to these teachings, and I believe that the effects would be quite surprising, and lead to interest for more, and that might push the mind closer to a direct experience of Dhamma. The manual naturally leads the mind to stillness, I believe.
This is the best I could wish for!
Personally I find our beliefs and concepts of time to be a hindrance for experience timelessness. The hindrance is often like; I am an unenlightened person who sits down, meditating to become enlightened ... And starting from this point often leads one further into doubting and seeking confirmations outside one's own core being, which is the deathless consciousness.

One has to understand that time is a concept born out of thinking, and seen from awareness, time is not linear, but it looks like series of present moments stacked on top of each other on a dimensionless consciousness called Now. Like in the Bahia Sutta, where the essence is: You won't find yourself inside, outside, or in-between.
And this awareness is not something one has to go looking for, it's something one just leans back into - not going out, and not going in, just dissolve into whenever one remembers the difference between activities of the mind and emptiness of the knowing mind.

Thank you for elaborating, I understand what you mean! It will add to make it more clear that Nibbana is right there, only our fabrications in the mind is what standing in the way. For some this might be relatively easy to see through, and for others who delved deeper into the mind, it might take more effort to dig themselves out again. I will contemplate on how to integrate it into the text, but your insight is already clear for the reader to understand.

Thank you again! _/|\_

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Hierarchies, whether formal or informal, will always remain a problem for the true Dhamma to unfold.

I will stop being active on this forum for the time being. Maybe I will come back when the true Dhamma has established more.

May you all have swift progress on the path!

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

PeterC86 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 pm
Crazy cloud wrote:
PeterC86 wrote:

Thank you for elaborating, I understand what you mean! It will add to make it more clear that Nibbana is right there, only our fabrications in the mind is what standing in the way. For some this might be relatively easy to see through, and for others who delved deeper into the mind, it might take more effort to dig themselves out again. I will contemplate on how to integrate it into the text, but your insight is already clear for the reader to understand.

Thank you again! _/|\_
I am, the present,
understanding, in the now,
time, is changing.

I have, space,
understanding of, in here,
space, is constant.

I need, no direction,
to be, is the way,
the way, to me.

I wear, a smile,
is what, me wrote,
you see in me, is what I see in you.

Practice, no judgement,
to grow, is to be,
the flow, of our nature.
Last edited by PeterC86 on Fri May 08, 2020 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

PeterC86 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:08 am
I wear, a smile,
Is what, me wrote,
You see in me, is what I see in you.

WHEN all is done and said, in the end this shall you find:
He most of all doth bathe in bliss that hath a quiet mind;
And, clear from worldly cares, to dream can be content
The sweetest time in all this life in thinking to be spent.

The body subject is to fickle Fortune’s power,
And to a million of mishaps is casual every hour;
And death in time doth change it to a clod of clay;
Whenas the mind, which is divine, runs never to decay.

Companion none is like unto the mind alone,
For many have been harmed by speech,—through thinking, few or none;
Fear oftentimes restraineth words, but makes not thought to cease;
And he speaks best that hath the skill when for to hold his peace.

Our wealth leaves us at death, our kinsmen at the grave;
But virtues of the mind unto the heavens with us we have:
Wherefor, for Virtue’s sake, I can be well content
The sweetest time of all my life to deem in thinking spent.

- Thomas, Lord Vaux (1509–1556)

:anjali:
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

PeterC86 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:08 am
PeterC86 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 pm
Crazy cloud wrote:

Thank you again! _/|\_
I am, the present,
understanding, in the now,
time, is changing.

I have, space,
understanding of, in here,
space, is constant.

I need, no direction,
to be, is the way,
the way, to me.

I wear, a smile,
is what, me wrote,
you see in me, is what I see in you.

Practice, no judgement,
to grow, is to be,
the flow, of our nature.
This an attempt to teach from Buddha-nature perspective, to create a shortcut through the mind;

I am understanding time, the present in the now is changing.

"The present is all we are, but this present changes in the moment, which is time. Understanding takes place in the moment at which it presents itself. That what is experienced, is experienced in the now."

I have understanding of space, space in here is constant.

"Understanding of is always there, even if we are not aware of it, it returns from something. Both the understanding of, and this something, are empty inside our mind, because they are dependent upon everything outside our mind."

I need to be the way, no direction is the way to me.

"The way is dissolving into our sense experience, to which there is no direction, because our sense experience is what we are at our core; the middle way."

I wear is what you see in me, a smile me wrote is what I see in you.

"Life is as serious as you take it."

Practice to grow the flow, no judgement is to be of our nature.

"The flow is our being in time and space, which one can experience more intensively, by not judging; the middle way.Not judging should not be understood as go with anything; if something is physically or mentally harmful for you or others, this must not be accepted. So how does one not judge, but still find a way to go with this particular energy formation? Be it.

By not attempting to judge, we dissolve into our sense experience, and into that what is there but unexperienced, both of which are our true nature. To follow that nature is the way; the flow."
Last edited by PeterC86 on Tue May 12, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

The shortest cut I can make is to say: Raise up and take one step towards yourself!

The awareness goes nowhere because there is no space or direction for it to move.

If I say: Are you aware of the tingling sensation in your left foot?
The awareness goes down to my foot, experiences the feeling, return to the head, and I say: Yes, I'm aware of a tingling sensation in my foot.

The difference between those two is that in the latter I made time and space by thinking there is a distance between me and the body part, but experiences are all at a zero distance in the unmoving now

Any move away from now is a lie.
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Crazy cloud wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:47 am
The shortest cut I can make is to say: Raise up and take one step towards yourself!

The awareness goes nowhere because there is no space or direction for it to move.

If I say: Are you aware of the tingling sensation in your left foot?
The awareness goes down to my foot, experiences the feeling, return to the head, and I say: Yes, I'm aware of a tingling sensation in my foot.

The difference between those two is that in the latter I made time and space by thinking there is a distance between me and the body part, but experiences are all at a zero distance in the unmoving now

Any move away from now is a lie.
The now is moving though, and your feet are not at the same point/space/place as your head. Every bodily movement takes time and space, although his can be a flowing process, and do not have to be thought about. So time and space are not mere concepts, but experienced properties of our experience; empty of meaning nonetheless.

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

If now is on the move, then what is it moving in or through?
If you didn't care
What happened to me

We would zig-zag our way

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
- Roger Waters

PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Crazy cloud wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:15 pm
If now is on the move, then what is it moving in or through?
Space!