What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Annapurna

Re: What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

Post by Annapurna »

TheDhamma wrote:In terms of heat, I've got you all beat, though, not that I want to win this one. Las Vegas has at least 10 days per year with temps. over 110 (43 Cel.) and about one day per year with the temperature at 122 (50 Cel.).

It is a dry heat, virtually no humidity (less than 10 percent). So it is basically just like an oven on broil or a microwave on high and when it is windy, just imagine a 'blow-dryer.'
I have a blowdryer on my knees while typing, because it's freezing cold here and I came in from outside and can't warm up.

.....feels good.

My electricity bill will knock me out.
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

I recently moved away from the desert where 115 degrees was typical in the summer. It was pretty hot!
GrahamR

What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

Post by GrahamR »

appicchato wrote:I may be about to crawl out on a limb here, but who, besides America and Britain use Fahrenheit?...and I'd venture to say definitely not 'most'...

Be well...and cool... :smile:

[Edited misattributed quote — Dhammanando]
Venerable sir,
We don't officually use Fahrenheit on the UK any more either. It doesn't mean much to me and I'm 47.
By the way it hit a sultry 5C in my town today, though it can reach the mid 30s if there is a good summer. My Thai wife wilts under those conditions!

With Metta :bow:
Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Actually, what I find most difficult is variability. In Asia coping with highs of 35 and lows of 25 or so is OK when in the countryside (not in and out of airconditioning and city streets!) because my body adapts after a few days.

Here in the summer it's not particularly hot but if we get highs of over 30, after a few days where the highs was around 20 even the Thai monks start complaining about the heat... :embarassed:

Metta
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Drolma wrote:I recently moved away from the desert where 115 degrees was typical in the summer. It was pretty hot!
Hi Drolma

If you dont mind me asking, where was that (the desert)?
Thanks

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

appicchato wrote:In Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand, in March and April, it gets into the (low ) forties, but upper thirties regularly...man, it's hot...(35 today)...

Chris: For most of the world Fahrenheit is the measure used, not Celsius.

I may be about to crawl out on a limb here, but who, besides America and Britain use Fahrenheit?...and I'd venture to say definitely not 'most'...

Be well...and cool... :smile:

Hello Ven. Appicchato, all,

Yes - you are correct. Thanks. :smile:

Usage
In the United States the Fahrenheit system continues to be the accepted standard for non-scientific use. All other countries have adopted Celsius as the primary scale in use. Fahrenheit is sometimes used by older generations in English speaking countries, especially for measurement of higher temperatures. The United Kingdom has almost exclusively used the Celsius scale since the 1970s, with the notable exception that some broadcasters and publications still quote Fahrenheit air temperatures occasionally in weather forecasts, for the benefit of generations born before about 1950, and air-temperature thermometers sold still show both scales for the same reason.
The Fahrenheit scale was the primary temperature standard for climatic, industrial and medical purposes in most English-speaking countries until the 1960s. In the late 1960s and 1970s, the Celsius (formerly Centigrade) scale was phased in by governments as part of the standardizing process of metrication.
Fahrenheit supporters assert its previous popularity was due to Fahrenheit’s user-friendliness. The unit of measure, being only 5⁄9 the size of the Celsius degree, permits more precise communication of measurements without resorting to fractional degrees. Also, the ambient air temperature in most inhabited regions of the world tends not to go far beyond the range of 0 °F to 100 °F: therefore, the Fahrenheit scale would reflect the perceived ambient temperatures, following 10-degree bands that emerge in the Fahrenheit system. Also, coincidentally, the smallest sensible temperature change averages one Fahrenheit degree; that is, the average person can just detect a temperature difference of a single degree.
But some Celsius supporters argue that their system can be just as natural; for example, they might say that 0–10 °C indicates cold, 10–20 °C mild, 20–30 °C warm and 30–40 °C hot.
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Celsius_vs_Fahrenheit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

On rare days in midsummer, lower Michigan can see 100-102F. Most "warm" days here are mid-80's F. I used to live near Phoenix, Arizona and summer temps there were routinely 108-114F.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

A few minutes ago the nearest weather station just clocked in at 47.5'C / 117.5'F

:shock:

It's the hottest Melbourne day on record with the city reaching 46.4'C at 3.04pm... overtaking the old record of 45.6'C and by far and away beating the old February record of 43.2'C

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Element

Post by Element »

I has not stopped raining here for weeks. But still I can sit with open windows in the fresh air nude, watching lorikeets eat pink gum tree blossums.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer some white hot Melbourne sun?
White Sun.JPG
White Sun.JPG (16.39 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
(taken a few minutes ago...)

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
notself

Post by notself »

The record high temperature in the Ozark mountains of Arkansas was 120`F / 49`C in 1936. Temperatures of over 100'F are not unusual in July and August.
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
Element

Post by Element »

Some respite in the way for Retro. :jumping:

KeithBC

Post by KeithBC »

appicchato wrote: Chris: For most of the world Fahrenheit is the measure used, not Celsius.
I may be about to crawl out on a limb here, but who, besides America and Britain use Fahrenheit?...and I'd venture to say definitely not 'most'...
But the U.S. is most of the world, isn't it? :rolleye:

The hottest we've been is 38 C. Plenty warm enough!

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:A few minutes ago the nearest weather station just clocked in at 47.5'C / 117.5'F

:shock:

It's the hottest Melbourne day on record with the city reaching 46.4'C at 3.04pm... overtaking the old record of 45.6'C and by far and away beating the old February record of 43.2'C

Metta,
Hi Retro

I was in Melbourne the day before yesterday and stayed in a hotel near Faulkner Park in South Yarra. I was horrified to see in that city of gardens, the lawns of Faulkner Park dead and the elms on St Kilda Road dying from the extreme heat and drought. In one of the wealthiest areas in Melbourne, trees and shrubs in private gardens were dying. I hope all is well in the Retro household and the heat not having too great an adverse effect on your family.
Our top temperature today was 31C.
Metta
Ben
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,
Our garden is fine... it's already drought-proof because we're practical folk who go for native plants rather than those hi-falutin' inner city folk. :jumping: They won't know what to do without their lavishly flourishing water-wasting gardens.

Some of the leaves though on the trees here have been scorched though.

We've just turned the air conditioner off... just as I speak though, my wife's turned it back on! Seems she still thinks it's hot. Family and dogs all fine.

Metta,
Paul. :)