The life of the Buddha (references please!)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

The life of the Buddha (references please!)

Post by Ben »

Greetings all

Seeking authoritative references on the life of the Buddha.
Authoritative from Theravadin, academic and historical perspectives.
From suttas to later compilations.
Thanks for your kind assistance

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Paññāsikhara

Re: The life of the Buddha (references please!)

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Ben wrote:Greetings all

Seeking authoritative references on the life of the Buddha.
Authoritative from Theravadin, academic and historical perspectives.
From suttas to later compilations.
Thanks for your kind assistance

Ben
The Buddha and His Teachings by Venerable Narada Mahathera

A bit of a classic, I feel.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

I very strongly recommend you get your hands on a copy of "Life Of The Buddha, According To The Pali Canon" by Bhikkhu Nanamoli, available through BPS.

Not only is virtually all of it from the Pali Canon (as per the title), but what little is taken from alternative sources is accurately traced back to its scriptural origin.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I've thought of buying this.

http://www.amazon.ca/Life-Buddha-Accord ... 212&sr=8-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus accesstoinsight has:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/buddha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I liked that one, I think. Its been a while.
Wind

Post by Wind »

retrofuturist wrote:
I very strongly recommend you get your hands on a copy of "Life Of The Buddha, According To The Pali Canon" by Bhikkhu Nanamoli, available through BPS.

Metta,
I did not even know there is a book like that. Added to my list. Thanks retro.
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Ben,

Not only is virtually all of it from the Pali Canon (as per the title), but what little is taken from alternative sources is accurately traced back to its scriptural origin.

Metta,
Is there a better resource than this classic?

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you gentlemen

The reason I started this thread was to assist a very good friend of mine who is an academic in the field of arts and literature. Over the last few years he has been developing a paper that refutes a modern romanticised vision of Gautama's life that has appeared in the works of another Australian poet. My understanding is that there are elements of the Buddha's life captured in the suttas and the ancient commentaries but it was really the later scholars who compiled and edited the life of the Buddha, such as the work by Narada Thera and Bhikkhu Nanamoli. I think also it is the Noble Search Sutta in the Majjhima which contains some excellent material concerning Gautama's life pre-enlightenment but may not be complete.
Thanks for your help.
metta

en
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Ben wrote:Thank you gentlemen

The reason I started this thread was to assist a very good friend of mine who is an academic in the field of arts and literature. Over the last few years he has been developing a paper that refutes a modern romanticised vision of Gautama's life that has appeared in the works of another Australian poet. My understanding is that there are elements of the Buddha's life captured in the suttas and the ancient commentaries but it was really the later scholars who compiled and edited the life of the Buddha, such as the work by Narada Thera and Bhikkhu Nanamoli. I think also it is the Noble Search Sutta in the Majjhima which contains some excellent material concerning Gautama's life pre-enlightenment but may not be complete.
Thanks for your help.
metta

en
If you are looking at sutta / vinaya only, then there is really not that much.

The "later" material is often not that late at all. (Remember: Buddhaghosa is 99% compiler, not author.) Judicious comparison amongst a range of post-canonical material, from numerous sources, not just Theravada, will find a wealth of information with much internal consistency.

The Noble Search Sutta, when compared with other versions, may have a few little bits which were added later. This is consistent with the notion that early on, there may not have been a strict line dividing "sutta" from "gloss".

Much of the earlier Romanticized stuff may come from works like Carus, and others. Largely reflecting European Romantic philosophy and arts of the time. Nowadays it all seems a little too much. But we also have our own biases and conditioning, too.

For your friend, refuting is no problem. All the best. Be careful not to "over-refute", too!

Check out:
Rockhill, Life of Buddha, 1884.
Kern, Manual of Indian Buddhism, 1896.
Thomas, LIfe of the Buddha, 1931.
Foucher, La vie du Bouddha a'apres les texts et monuments de l'Inde, 1949.
Coomaraswamy & Horner, Living Thoughts of Gotama the Buddha, 1948.
Lamotte, La legende du Buddha, 1947.
Lamotte, History of Indian Buddhism, pp. 13ff.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings venerable Paññāsikhara,
Paññāsikhara wrote:The "later" material is often not that late at all. (Remember: Buddhaghosa is 99% compiler, not author.)
Without wanting to go too far off topic, what happened to this material that was later "compiled"?

It would be interesting to know what this source material said, since by nature of the fact it was later "compiled", it is older than Buddhaghosa's works.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Paññāsikhara wrote:If you are looking at sutta / vinaya only, then there is really not that much.
This is very true. It is surprising how little of what we might generally think of as biographical material on the Buddha is actually in the Pali Canon, especially in relation to his life prior to attaining Buddhahood. Even the famous visions of the sick man, dead man, old man and so on are not attributed to the Buddha himself (rather they are attributed to the previous Buddha) in the Pali Canon. I guess the Buddha was more interested in talking about the Dhamma than his life story, even though putthujanas and Australian poets tend to prefer a different ratio. Later hagiography was added to supplement the minimal facts laid out in the Pali Canon.

Metta,
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings venerable Paññāsikhara,
Paññāsikhara wrote:The "later" material is often not that late at all. (Remember: Buddhaghosa is 99% compiler, not author.)
Without wanting to go too far off topic, what happened to this material that was later "compiled"?

It would be interesting to know what this source material said, since by nature of the fact it was later "compiled", it is older than Buddhaghosa's works.

Metta,
Good question. Nobody really seems to know for sure. Apparently it was in Sinhalese. The process of working it all out, based on Buddhaghosa's comments like "The acariya says ...", "The commentators say...", "Some say...", "Others say..." etc. is something of a nightmare. Still, some are willing to look into this question. You may wish to investigate: Early history of Buddhism in Ceylon : or, State of Buddhism in Ceylon as revealed by the Pāli commentaries of the 5th century A.D. / by E. W. Adikaram. 1946.